Redbirds Walked off at San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The San Antonio Missions (Brewers) scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth to walk off the Memphis Redbirds (21-19) in the series opener Thursday night in San Antonio, Texas, 4-3.
Memphis trailed 1-0 and 2-1 before rallying with a pair of runs in the top of the sixth. The bullpen locked down in the sixth-through-eighth innings, but the Missions (23-17) capitalized in their last at-bat to take the win.
Tommy Edman had an RBI single in the top of the third to tie the game at 1, before San Antonio scored in the bottom of the fifth to take a 2-1 advantage. Tyler O'Neill and Adolis Garcia proceeded to go deep in the top of the sixth to give Memphis a 3-2 lead.
It was O'Neill's seventh home run in 12 games played for the Redbirds, and Garcia's long ball was his 10th of the year.
After taking the one-run lead, the Redbirds pitching staff took over. Genesis Cabrera came back after his offense gave him the lead and retired the Missions in order in the bottom of the sixth, which was his last inning of work. The left-hander finished with a quality start, allowing only two runs on eight hits in 6.0 innings. He struck out four and walked one.
After Cabrera, Ryan Helsley retired all five San Antonio hitters he faced in the seventh and eighth innings, and Ryan Meisinger got the final out of the eighth.
Tommy Layne entered with a one-run lead in the bottom of the ninth and got a quick groundout, before two walks and a hit loaded the bases with two outs. Tyler Saladino then doubled home a pair to give San Antonio the victory.
A win would have been Memphis' fourth in the last five games.
Rangel Ravelo went 3-for-4, extending his hitting streak to eight games. He has four multi-hit games during the stretch, three of which are three-hit performances. He has hits in his last 11 games with an official at-bat, raising his batting average from .165 to .281.
The Redbirds are in San Antonio through a day game on Monday, before heading to Nashville until the end of next week. Memphis is back at AutoZone Park on Saturday, May 25.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Saturday, May 25 at 6:35 p.m.: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; stainless steel powder-coated "YADI" tumbler specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals
Sunday, May 26 at 6:35 p.m.: special Memorial Day edition of postgame fireworks presented by Tennessee Lottery; Memorial Day Weekend Cookout specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/memorialday; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air
Monday, May 27 at 1:05 p.m. (doubleheader): Memorial Day doubleheader (one ticket is good for both games); Memorial Day Cookout specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/memorialday
Wednesday, May 29 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, May 30 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs
Friday, May 31 at 7:05: All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket option featuring a two-hour all-you-can-eat beef sliders buffet available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, June 1 at 6:35 p.m.: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game
Sunday, June 2 at 2:05 p.m.: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Dodgers Open Series with 5-3 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Drops Series Opener in Round Rock - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Walked off at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Iowa and New Orleans Share Winnings - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Spilt Double Dip - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Thursday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Fans' Guide to Parking This Weekend - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony May 17 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Express Welcome Nashville, San Antonio to Town - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-25) vs. Round Rock Express (24-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-18) at San Antonio Missions (22-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Host Hometown Heroes Presented by Boeing Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month