Iowa and New Orleans Share Winnings
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (25-16) split a twin bill with the New Orleans Baby Cakes (21-20), Thursday at Principal Park. New Orleans took the opening game 7-0, before Iowa fought back with a 5-2 rain-shortened victory in the nightcap.
The first two New Orleans batters reached and scored in the first inning to set the tone. The Baby Cakes would total four hits in the first and 12 in the seven-inning game. New Orleans added to the edge with a run in the second on an Isan Diaz single. Home runs from Lewis Brinson, Yadiel Rivera and Monte Harrison in the third, fifth and sixth innings, respectively, solidified the 7-0 shutout for the Baby Cakes.
The visitors kept the momentum into Game 2 as back-to-back doubles from Diaz and JT Riddle in the first inning scored the game's first run. Austin Dean knocked in the second run of the frame with a single.
Iowa eventually got its bats going as Johnny Field jump-started a rally with a leadoff double in the fourth. Field scored on an RBI single from Trent Giambrone, before Dixon Machado gave the I-Cubs their first lead of the night with a grand slam later in the inning. After four and a half frames, the game was called an official contest due to inclement weather.
- Colin Rea (W, 4-1) struck out a season-high seven batters in Game 2.
- Dixon Machado has set a career high with seven home runs in 2019.
- Matt Swarmer (L, 4-4) matched career highs with 12 hits allowed and seven earned runs in Game 1.
Iowa and New Orleans meet for a 7:08 first pitch tomorrow for Firework Friday at Principal Park. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Dodgers Open Series with 5-3 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Drops Series Opener in Round Rock - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Walked off at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Iowa and New Orleans Share Winnings - Iowa Cubs
- 'Cakes Spilt Double Dip - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Thursday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Fans' Guide to Parking This Weekend - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony May 17 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Express Welcome Nashville, San Antonio to Town - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (13-25) vs. Round Rock Express (24-14) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-18) at San Antonio Missions (22-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Host Hometown Heroes Presented by Boeing Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Saturday MVP Field Day to Cap 2019 OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.