Rampage Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Milwaukee
MILWAUKEE (March 30, 2011)- The San Antonio Rampage earned a point in the West Division standings with a 3-2 shootout loss to the Milwaukee Admirals on Wednesday night at the Bradley Center. The Rampage own a 38-30-3-3 record with 82 points.
The Rampage scored their 70th power-play goal of the season to set a franchise record as Garrett Stafford picked up his sixth man-advantage goal at the 2:42 mark of the second period. Dane Byers passed from behind the net to Stafford below the left faceoff circle where he fired a shot that went low stick side of Admirals netminder Atte Engren to give the Rampage a 1-0 lead. Matt Watkins supplied the additional helper.
Milwaukee evened the score at 1-1, also on the power play, when Mark Santorelli's centering feed from the left goal line found Teemu Laakso backdoor to beat Rampage goaltender Matt Climie 12:12 into the middle stanza.
Two minutes later, the Admirals claimed a 2-1 advantage on a Grant Lewis goal during a delayed Rampage penalty. Lewis received the puck at the blue line and skated down the left wing boards through the faceoff circle before snapping a shot through the five hole of Climie.
San Antonio netted the equalizer with 2:04 remaining in the second period after center Randy Robitaille took a shot from the slot that bounced off an Admirals defenseman's skate and wide of Engren's glove for a 2-2 score.
Neither team was able to score in the third period sending the game into overtime and eventually a shootout.
Milwaukee took the 3-2 win and clinched an AHL playoff berth after outscoring San Antonio three goals to one in the shootout. Gabriel Bourque, Roman Josi and Andreas Thuresson found the back of the net for Milwaukee while Viktor Tikhonov scored for the Rampage.
Climie finished the night with 28 saves on 30 Admirals shot attempts while Engren stopped 32 of 34 Rampage shots on net.
The Rampage return to the ice on Friday night when they host the first game of a back-to-back series against the Peoria Rivermen at 7 p.m. at the AT&T Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2011
- Ads Stop Rampage, Punch Post-Season Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Suffer Season-High Seventh Straight Loss in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Win Streak Comes to An End - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Clinches 5-4 Shootout Win Over Rochester - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback Against Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bulldogs Ice Heat with 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rockford Extends Win Streak to Five-Straight Contests - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Top Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Quick Goals Put Sound Tigers Past Pirates 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Sign Goaltender Jason Missiaen to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Predators Sign First Round Pick Austin Watson - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Scrymgeour - Portland Pirates
- Rowe Loaned to Greenville - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Host the 2011 Face off Against Cancer this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Release Anderson, Assign Three to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Adam Selected to the AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - Connecticut Whale
- Save $5 On Friday's Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Concludes Wed, April 6 at Dodester's - Syracuse Crunch
- Brendan Smith Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Toronto to Win Fourth Straight, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Gustafsson Named to All-Rookie Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lack Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Manitoba Moose
- Dalpe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Rhett Rakhshani Named to 2010-11 AHL All-Rookie Team - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Donovan Agrees to Terms on Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Sign Andrew Hotham to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Rochester Americans
- Forward Mattias Ritola Rejoins Admirals from Lightning - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Ink Campanale and Barton to Amateur Contracts - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.