Rockford Extends Win Streak to Five-Straight Contests
Cleveland, Ohio- One streak had to go on and one had to end on Wednesday night. Fortunately for the Rockford IceHogs, it was their winning streak that continued as they topped the red hot Lake Erie Monsters 3-2 at the Quicken Loans in Cleveland.
The win for Rockford ended the Monsters franchise record eight-game winning streak while Rockford has now won a season best five straight tilts. Last time Rockford was in Lake Erie on March 5, they ended the Monsters franchise record eight-game home winning streak by a score of 3-2, the last lost for Lake Erie before Wednesday.
Rockford controlled the first six minutes of the game, but it was Lake Erie who grabbed the first goal. Julian Talbot snapped home his 12th goal of the season over the shoulder of Hannu Toivonen at 5:59 of the opening frame on Lake Erie's first shot of the contest.
The Monsters goal didn't slow Rockford's momentum, however, as they tied the game at 16:23 of the first period. Defenseman Garnet Exelby picked up a Brandon Pirri pass and slapped his third goal of the season past Jason Bacashihua for his third goal of the campaign. Rob Klinkhammer also assisted on the goal to extend his point streak to seven straight games.
In the second period Lake Erie reclaimed the lead. With Rockford pinned in their own zone, Matt Ford deflected a Talbot shot over the shoulder of Toivonen for his 22nd goal of the season just 1:33 into the second frame.
With time winding down on a power play, Jeff Taffe would tie the game with a blast at 17:03 of the second stanza. Ben Smith helped Rockford hold the offensive zone and slid a pass down the left wall to Klinkhammer. Klinkhammer found Taffe in the slot and the winger hammered home his team-leading 26th goal of the season, making it 2-2.
The IceHogs claimed their first lead of the game 4:57 into the third period. Chris DiDomenico found Brian Connelly trailing a transition rush and the d-man cranked his ninth goal of the year past Bacashihua to put Rockford on top 3-2, the eventual game winner.
Toivonen extended his personal road point streak to six-straight games (4-0-1-1) making 23 saves, while Bacashihua made 24 saves in the lost.
Next Home Game: Friday, April 8 vs. Lake Erie Monsters: The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. Rockford returns home after a five-game, 12-day road swing to take on the Lake Erie Monsters for the sixth and final time this season. The IceHogs will be celebrating Hammy's birthday with several area mascots as the team opens the final weekend of the 2010-11 season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2011
- Ads Stop Rampage, Punch Post-Season Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Suffer Season-High Seventh Straight Loss in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Win Streak Comes to An End - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Clinches 5-4 Shootout Win Over Rochester - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback Against Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bulldogs Ice Heat with 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rockford Extends Win Streak to Five-Straight Contests - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Top Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Quick Goals Put Sound Tigers Past Pirates 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Sign Goaltender Jason Missiaen to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Predators Sign First Round Pick Austin Watson - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Scrymgeour - Portland Pirates
- Rowe Loaned to Greenville - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Host the 2011 Face off Against Cancer this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Release Anderson, Assign Three to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Adam Selected to the AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - Connecticut Whale
- Save $5 On Friday's Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Concludes Wed, April 6 at Dodester's - Syracuse Crunch
- Brendan Smith Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Toronto to Win Fourth Straight, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Gustafsson Named to All-Rookie Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lack Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Manitoba Moose
- Dalpe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Rhett Rakhshani Named to 2010-11 AHL All-Rookie Team - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Donovan Agrees to Terms on Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Sign Andrew Hotham to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Rochester Americans
- Forward Mattias Ritola Rejoins Admirals from Lightning - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Ink Campanale and Barton to Amateur Contracts - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Announce Six Prime Dates for 2019-20 Season
- Rockford Agrees to Terms with Forwards Coughlin & Ramsey
- Secure Your Seats For 2019-20 At Saturday's Garage Sale
- IceHogs Ink Defensemen McArdle & Osipov to AHL Deals
- Rockford Agrees to Terms with Marchand, Thompson