Brendan Smith Named to AHL All-Rookie Team
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Grand Rapids Griffins defenseman Brendan Smith on Wednesday was named to the 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team.
Smith, 22, ranks among the AHL's top defensemen with 12 goals (1st among rookies, T6th overall) and 32 points (T4th rookies, T25th overall) through 57 games. Despite having missed 17 games due to injuries, he stands among the Griffins' leaders in goals (1st defensemen, 7th overall), assists (20 - 2nd defensemen, 9th overall), points (2nd defensemen, 10th overall), plus/minus (plus-7 - 3rd defensemen, 5th overall), penalty minutes (113 - 2nd defensemen, 3rd overall), power play goals (five - 1st defensemen, T4th overall) and game-winning goals (four - 1st defensemen, T1st overall).
In Grand Rapids history, only two rookie defensemen have registered more points than Smith's 32, and both are currently playing in the NHL: Florida's Clay Wilson (37 in 2005-06) and Colorado's Kyle Quincey (33 in 2005-06). Overall, Smith's point total ties for the 12th-highest ever by a Griffins rookie.
The Mimico, Ontario, native becomes the third Griffin to be named to an AHL All-Rookie Team, joining current Detroit Red Wings Justin Abdelkader (2008-09) and Jimmy Howard (2005-06). This marks the second significant AHL honor for Smith this season, who became the first rookie defenseman in Griffins history to be chosen for an all-star game. However, he was forced to miss the 2011 AHL All-Star Classic due to injury.
One of the most highly touted rookies to ever play for the Griffins, Smith was named a top-10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Award last season as a junior at Wisconsin, when he led all NCAA defensemen in scoring with 52 points (15-37 - 52) in 42 games. Drafted 27th overall by the Red Wings in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, he helped the Badgers reach the championship game of the 2010 Frozen Four at Ford Field in Detroit.
Smith becomes a top candidate for the AHL's Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award (outstanding rookie), the winner of which will be announced on April 7.
The other members of the AHL All-Rookie Team, as voted by AHL coaches, players and media in each of the league's 30 member cities, are forwards Luke Adam (Portland), Zac Dalpe (Charlotte) and Rhett Rakhshani (Bridgeport); defenseman Erik Gustafsson (Adirondack); and goaltender Eddie Lack (Manitoba). Smith and Lack are the only representatives from the Western Conference.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2011
- Ads Stop Rampage, Punch Post-Season Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Suffer Season-High Seventh Straight Loss in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Win Streak Comes to An End - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Clinches 5-4 Shootout Win Over Rochester - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback Against Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bulldogs Ice Heat with 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rockford Extends Win Streak to Five-Straight Contests - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Top Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Quick Goals Put Sound Tigers Past Pirates 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Sign Goaltender Jason Missiaen to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Predators Sign First Round Pick Austin Watson - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Scrymgeour - Portland Pirates
- Rowe Loaned to Greenville - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Host the 2011 Face off Against Cancer this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Release Anderson, Assign Three to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Adam Selected to the AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - Connecticut Whale
- Save $5 On Friday's Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Concludes Wed, April 6 at Dodester's - Syracuse Crunch
- Brendan Smith Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Toronto to Win Fourth Straight, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Gustafsson Named to All-Rookie Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lack Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Manitoba Moose
- Dalpe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Rhett Rakhshani Named to 2010-11 AHL All-Rookie Team - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Donovan Agrees to Terms on Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Sign Andrew Hotham to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Rochester Americans
- Forward Mattias Ritola Rejoins Admirals from Lightning - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Ink Campanale and Barton to Amateur Contracts - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.