Quick Goals Put Sound Tigers Past Pirates 2-1
PORTLAND, Maine (Mar. 30, 2011) - Brian Day and David Ullstrom scored 1:23 apart midway through the third period and Mikko Koskinen made 33 saves as the Bridgeport Sound Tigers defeated the Portland Pirates 2-1 at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Wednesday night. The Sound Tigers earn their fourth straight road win and improve to 26-37-4-7. Portland falls to 44-21-6-2.
Portland took a 1-0 lead just 3:32 into the first period. Tony Romano went to skate the puck out of the Sound Tigers zone but got caught up with Mark Wotton by the blue line, knocking the puck away and giving Paul Byron a clear lane to the net. Byron skated in on Mikko Koskinen and deked a few times before backhanding the puck by the Sound Tigers netminder to put the Pirates up 1-0. Portland doubled up Bridgeport in the shots department by a 12-6 margin and carried their one-goal lead to the second period.
The Sound Tigers controlled much of the play for the latter part of the second period, however the posts were unkind to Pat Bingham's squad. After Joe Pereira forced a turnover at the Sound Tigers blue line the West Haven native skated in on a breakaway, but fired off the right post and the score remained 1-0. Less than a minute later, Romano came in along the left side and beat Leggio, but his shot caromed off the right post and away as Portland still held their 1-0 lead after two periods.
With 10:46 left in the third period the Sound Tigers knotted the score. Romano and Brian Day skated in on a 2-on-1, and Romano fed the puck towards the slot to Day. Day's one-timer beat Leggio for his second goal in four games with the Sound Tigers, both of them against Portland, and the game was tied 1-1. Just 1:23 later, Robin Figren's aggressive forecheck put the Sound Tigers in front. Figren forced a turnover behind the Portland net, and got the puck in front to Ullstrom who backhanded the puck over Leggio to give the Sound Tigers a 2-1 lead. Portland pressed late in the third period, but Mikko Koskinen held the Pirates at bay and the Sound Tigers came away with their second win in Portland in five days, this one by a 2-1 score.
The Sound Tigers return to action Friday night at 7:30 p.m. when they travel to Springfield to face the Falcons.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2011
- Ads Stop Rampage, Punch Post-Season Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Suffer Season-High Seventh Straight Loss in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Win Streak Comes to An End - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Clinches 5-4 Shootout Win Over Rochester - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback Against Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bulldogs Ice Heat with 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rockford Extends Win Streak to Five-Straight Contests - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Top Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Quick Goals Put Sound Tigers Past Pirates 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Sign Goaltender Jason Missiaen to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Predators Sign First Round Pick Austin Watson - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Scrymgeour - Portland Pirates
- Rowe Loaned to Greenville - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Host the 2011 Face off Against Cancer this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Release Anderson, Assign Three to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Adam Selected to the AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - Connecticut Whale
- Save $5 On Friday's Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Concludes Wed, April 6 at Dodester's - Syracuse Crunch
- Brendan Smith Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Toronto to Win Fourth Straight, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Gustafsson Named to All-Rookie Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lack Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Manitoba Moose
- Dalpe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Rhett Rakhshani Named to 2010-11 AHL All-Rookie Team - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Donovan Agrees to Terms on Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Sign Andrew Hotham to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Rochester Americans
- Forward Mattias Ritola Rejoins Admirals from Lightning - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Ink Campanale and Barton to Amateur Contracts - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.