Monsters Win Streak Comes to An End
The Lake Erie Monsters saw their franchise-high eight-game winning streak snap with a 3-2 loss to the Rockford IceHogs in front of 7,112 at Quicken Loans Arena on Wednesday night.
Despite the loss, the Monsters hold a record of 22-10-2-3 on home ice this season, while they are 40-26-3-5 overall.
The Monsters finish the month of March with a 9-2-0-0 record, with both losses coming against the IceHogs.
In the first period, the Monsters took a 1-0 lead when Julian Talbot turned an innocent-looking play into a goal at the 5:59 mark. After picking up a loose puck in the neutral zone, Talbot entered Rockford territory on the left wing side and placed a shot over the glove of Hannu Toivonen. Luke Walker assisted for his second helper in his last two games, while Julien Brouillette also assisted.
The IceHogs evened the score when Garnet Exelby scored off a slap shot from the left circle at 16:23. Brandon Pirri and Rob Klinkhammer assisted.
After 20 minutes, the IceHogs carried a 12-4 lead in shots, while the score remained tied at 1-1.
Lake Erie regained its one-goal lead just 1:33 into the middle frame. After Justin Mercier tried a shot from the hash mark, Matt Ford buried the rebound from the top of the goal crease. Talbot also assisted for his third point (1G, 2A) in his last two games and ninth multi-point game of the season.
Rockford tied the game at 2-2 when Jeff Taffe scored a power play goal off assists from Klinkhammer and Ben Smith at 17:03.
The IceHogs outshot the Monsters by a 14-11 count in the second period.
In the third, Rockford snapped the 2-2 deadlock with Brian Connelly's slap from the top of the left circle at 4:57. Chris DiDomenico and Mathis Olimb assisted.
Connelly's goal stood as the game-winner, while the Monsters were unable to mount a comeback in the remainder of regulation.
Jason Bacashihua recorded 34 saves on 37 shots, marking his first loss in his last five starts.
At the other end, Toivonen denied 23 of 25 shots in the win.
The Monsters will return to North Division action on Friday when they host the Hamilton Bulldogs at 7:30 p.m.
Three Stars: 1. RFD Connelly (GW goal); 2. RFD Klinkhammer (2 assists); 3. LE Talbot (1G, 1A)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2011
- Ads Stop Rampage, Punch Post-Season Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Suffer Season-High Seventh Straight Loss in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Win Streak Comes to An End - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Clinches 5-4 Shootout Win Over Rochester - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback Against Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bulldogs Ice Heat with 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rockford Extends Win Streak to Five-Straight Contests - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Top Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Quick Goals Put Sound Tigers Past Pirates 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Sign Goaltender Jason Missiaen to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Predators Sign First Round Pick Austin Watson - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Scrymgeour - Portland Pirates
- Rowe Loaned to Greenville - Adirondack Phantoms
- B-Sens Host the 2011 Face off Against Cancer this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Release Anderson, Assign Three to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Adam Selected to the AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - Connecticut Whale
- Save $5 On Friday's Game - Cleveland Monsters
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Concludes Wed, April 6 at Dodester's - Syracuse Crunch
- Brendan Smith Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Toronto to Win Fourth Straight, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Gustafsson Named to All-Rookie Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lack Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Manitoba Moose
- Dalpe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- Rhett Rakhshani Named to 2010-11 AHL All-Rookie Team - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- 2010-11 American Hockey League All-Rookie Team Named - AHL
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Donovan Agrees to Terms on Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Sign Andrew Hotham to Amateur Tryout Agreement - Rochester Americans
- Forward Mattias Ritola Rejoins Admirals from Lightning - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Ink Campanale and Barton to Amateur Contracts - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Name Chris Clark Monsters General Manager, Mike Eaves Named Sixth Head Coach in Monsters Franchise History
- Update on Dan Gilbert's Health
- Cleveland Monsters and Cedar Point Team up to Present Monsters Summer Sizzler Pack
- John Madden Will Not Return as Cleveland Monsters Head Coach in 2019-20
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019 Summer Tour Presented by Cedar Point