Rafters Win 12-Inning Marathon with Green Bay
Wisconsin Rapids, WI - A day after Jacob Hinderleider (Davidson) drove in five runs, he scampered home on a passed ball in the 12th inning, winning the Rafters' home opener, 4-3.
Glenn Albanese (Louisville) started for the Rafters and was brilliant, striking out the first four Booyah batters he faced. Albanese would pitch four innings from the Witter Field rubber, striking out 11 batters. Versus Albanese, only two Green Bay batters put the ball in play.
After Albanese's exit, Ryan Mitschele (W. Carolina) took over and was similarly suave in moving through the lineup. Mitschele threw three hitless and scoreless innings, allowing only two baserunners to the Booyah.
On the hitting side, the Rafters got on the board in the third. Rafters 2019 All-Star catcher Jake Dunham (Northern Illinois) drove in Richie Schiekofer (Rutgers) to make the score 1-0. The Booyah and Rafters would trade zeroes for four innings to follow. After the Booyah tied the game up in the eighth, the game stayed scoreless until the tenth.
With extra inning rules allowing a runner to start at second, the Rafters traded runs in the 11th, with the Rafters scoring one on an Andy Garriola (Old Dominion) double. In the 12th, the Booyah struck first again, but the Rafters were not done.
Jacob Hinderleider singled, sending Roman Trujillo to third. Jake Dunham then tied the game with an RBI single. Two batters later, with Christian Sepulveda (UTRGV) at the plate, a pitch went through the legs of Booyah catcher Cameron Tilly, and Hinderleider took advantage, scoring to win the game.
Tomorrow, the Rafters are on the road against the Wisconsin Woodchucks. The Rafters return to Witter Field on Saturday, July 4th with fireworks presented by S&S Distributing.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 3, 2020
- Rafters Rally to Get Past the Woodchucks at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Errors Doom Dune Bears - Northern Michigan Dune Bears
- Stingers Take Win over Rox - Willmar Stingers
- Bombers Blank Growlers in Pitchers Duel at Homer Stryker - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers to Welcome in Patriot Parachute Team for Independence Day Celebration - La Crosse Loggers
- Walk-Off Spoils Honkers' Opening Day - Rochester Honkers
- Kenosha Kingfish Ready to Continue Their Reign over Simmons Field - Kenosha Kingfish
- Nominate a Veteran Or Active Military Personnel Member Today to be Honored at a Stingers Game - Willmar Stingers
- Rox Win Home Opener on Walk-Off in 11 Innings - St. Cloud Rox
- Road Warriors: Loggers Come Back to Sweep Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Flickertails Outlast Bull Moose 16-15 - Mandan Flickertails
- Dune Bears Walk to Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Win 12-Inning Marathon with Green Bay - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Weather Suspends Chucks' Home Opener against Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Fall on the Road against Waterloo - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Rafters and Loggers Meet up Wednesday at Witter
- Billy Cook Walks Loggers Off, Rafters Win 4-3
- Rafters Back to Action Tuesday Versus La Crosse on Cellcom Kids Day
- Rafters Take Friday Matchup with Green Bay, 6-1
- Rafters Wrap up Two-Game Series in Green Bay