Errors Doom Dune Bears
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Northern Michigan Dune Bears, who benefited from quality pitching in their win the night before, committed four errors while walking 10 and leaving 11 men on base in a 11-2 loss to the Great Lakes Resorters in front of a third straight sellout crowd Friday night at Turtle Creek Stadium.
The Resorters struck first in the opening frame, plating five runs featuring two hit batsman and a two-RBI single from Dalton Chandler to give Great Lakes a 5-0 advantage. The Dune Bears responded with a run in the fifth inning as Jackson Galloway crossed the plate on a wild pitch cutting the Resorters lead to 5-1. In the bottom of the sixth inning, Great Lakes added to their total as Dalton Chandler laced an inside-the-park home run to center field, scoring three runs, and extending the Resorters lead to 8-1. Northern Michigan added another tally in the eighth, but it was too little too late as back-to-back singles from Jacob Marsee and Nick Neville gave way to a four-run eighth inning for Great Lakes - putting the finishing touches on a 11-2 win. Dalton Chandler - the Resorters second baseman - collected four RBI's while center fielder Seth Halvorsen stole three bases in the Great Lakes victory.
Resorters reliever, Brody Maynard (1-0), tossed one inning of shutout baseball with a pair of strikeouts in his first victory of 2020. Chris Keenan (0-1) hurled two-thirds of an inning, allowing five earned runs while giving up four walks in the loss. Great Lakes improves to 1-1 on the season while the Dune Bears fall to 1-1.
The Traverse City Pit Spitters return to Turtle Creek Stadium to host the Great Lakes Resorters Saturday night at 7:05PM. Pre-game coverage with Dan Hasty and Nate Wangler begins at 7:00 PM. Tickets are available for any Pit Spitters/Dune Bears/Resorters contest at pitspitters.com or by calling the front office at (231) - 943 - 0100.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 3, 2020
- Rafters Rally to Get Past the Woodchucks at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Errors Doom Dune Bears - Northern Michigan Dune Bears
- Stingers Take Win over Rox - Willmar Stingers
- Bombers Blank Growlers in Pitchers Duel at Homer Stryker - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers to Welcome in Patriot Parachute Team for Independence Day Celebration - La Crosse Loggers
- Walk-Off Spoils Honkers' Opening Day - Rochester Honkers
- Kenosha Kingfish Ready to Continue Their Reign over Simmons Field - Kenosha Kingfish
- Nominate a Veteran Or Active Military Personnel Member Today to be Honored at a Stingers Game - Willmar Stingers
- Rox Win Home Opener on Walk-Off in 11 Innings - St. Cloud Rox
- Road Warriors: Loggers Come Back to Sweep Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Flickertails Outlast Bull Moose 16-15 - Mandan Flickertails
- Dune Bears Walk to Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Win 12-Inning Marathon with Green Bay - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Weather Suspends Chucks' Home Opener against Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Fall on the Road against Waterloo - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.