Power sweep Drive
Greenville, SC (August 18, 2008) - The first six batters in the order hit safely twice and R.J. Seidel tossed six scoreless innings on Monday night at Fluor Field as the West Virginia Power won their fifth game in a row, sweeping the Greenville Drive with an 8-3 victory.
Fryer gave West Virginia an early lead for the second night in a row, with an RBI single in the first inning. Zelous Wheeler doubled West Virginia's lead with a two-out RBI double in the fourth. The Power scored four times with two outs in the fifth inning. Michael Almamzar's fielding error allowed Logan Schafer to score the first run of the inning. Wilson scored on a wild pitch, and Caleb Gindl and Zelous Wheeler ripped back-to-back RBI singles to finish the inning.
The Power added a pair of runs in the seventh inning. Curt Rindal's bases loaded base single scored Wilson and Lee Haydel walked with the bases loaded to score Gindl. The Drive got on the board in the bottom of the eighth inning on a two run homer from Will Vazquez. Greenville scored one final time in the ninth on Michael Almanzar's sacrifice fly, which brought in Oscar Tejada.
Seidel (8-5) allowed just four hits over six scoreless frames and fanned two to get his first victory since July 18th. Terumasa Matsuo (5-5) allowed six runs, only one earned on nine hits over four and two-thirds and was tagged with the loss.
The Power improved to 71-55 on the year and 39-18 in the second half with the win. The Drive fell to 64-62 on the year and 24-32 in the second half with the loss. Farris, Schafer, Fryer, Wilson, Gindl and Wheeler all hit safely twice. Fryer went 2-for-5, giving him six straight multi-hit games. He went 14-for-34 on the road trip.
The Power will begin a four game series against the Asheville Tourists at Appalachian Power Park on Tuesday night. The Power will start right hander Reed Dickert (2-2, 1.86) and the Tourists will counter with right hander Bruce Billings (8-10, 4.09) The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
For more information contact the Power Front Offices at (304) 344-2287 or visit the Power website at www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.