Tourists split double header
ASHEVILLE - The Tourists mustered just six hits but they made them all count. Four of their hits were double, leading the way to a 7-6 win and a series split with the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The two-baggers came off the bats of Brian Rike, Bo Bowman, Kevin Clark and Helder Velazquez and each of those hits helped the Tourists escape an early 3-0 deficit that was created when Tom Hickman tagged Shane Lindsay for a three-run home run on the first pitch he saw with two outs in the fourth.
Rike's double plated Lars Davis for the first Asheville run of the game in the fourth. An inning later, Michael Mitchell's single made it just a one-run ballgame. The Tourists would save their best for the sixth with three big runs, the first two coming off Clark's double to give Asheville its first lead of the night. Clark himself would score after stealing third base and later coming home on a daring play to score on a wild pitch that actually bounced in front of catcher Jose Ceballos to give the Tourists a 5-3 lead.
Shane Lindsay (1-1) made the lead stand with six solid innings for Asheville in his first win as a Tourist in 2008. Lindsay struck out six while only giving up four hits and two walks; his biggest mistake coming on the Hickman home run in the fourth. Greensboro added a run in the eighth when Hickman drove in his fourth run of the night on a single off Craig Baker to bring Asheville's lead down to two. The Tourists got some insurance on their final double of the night - a Helder Velazquez double off the left field fence to score Clark and Bowman, who was standing on second after hitting - what else - but a double.
The Hoppers rallied in the ninth off Randall Taylor, picking up four consecutive singles and scoring a run. Matthew Reynolds came on and got Hunter Mense to fly out - a sacrifice fly that made it a one-run ballgame - before inducing a groundout for the game's final out. He picks up his second save of the season, both coming in this series against the Grasshoppers.
Jay Volt takes the loss for Greensboro, tossing just a third of an inning but being charged with all three earned runs in the sixth on just one hit and a pair of walks. He did strike out a batter. The Tourists embark on their final road trip of the 2008 regular season and will send Bruce Billings (8-10, 4.09) to the mound as they travel to Charleston, West Virginia to take on the West Virginia Power. Michael Bowman will take the ball for West Virginia. First pitch is 7:05 p.m. and the game can also be heard on the Tourists flagship station WRES-FM, 100.7.
After four in West Virginia and three with the Hickory Crawdads, the Tourists return home on Wednesday August 27th for their final homestand of the season. The opening game of the six-game homestand is a $5 ticket night, with every seat in the house on sale for just five bucks. It's also another Goodwill Night with fans receiving a free general admission ticket for bringing in three new or gently used clothing items for Goodwill Industries of Western North Carolina. For the final time this season, Seniors will eat free compliments of Humana. Game time is 7:05 p.m.
The Asheville Tourists are the Single-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. Tickets are available by contacting the front office at (828)-258-0428 or on the website, www.theashevilletourists.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.