'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball
Bowling Green, KY- Following months of accepting fans' suggestions for the team name of the future Class-A South Atlantic League affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays, Bowling Green Pro Baseball today released the seven finalists in its 'Name the Team Contest'. Fans can cast their votes at www.BowlingGreenProBaseball.com from among these selections:
*Bowling Green Speedsters
*Bowling Green Cave Shrimp
*Bowling Green Hot Rods
*Bowling Green Bluegills
*Bowling Green Turbos
*Bowling Green Sparkplugs
*Bowling Green Mammoths
"This is the fans' team, so it's only natural they get to feel that sense of ownership in having the opportunity to vote for the name of their team," said Bowling Green Pro Baseball General Manager/CEO Brad Taylor. "All seven of the finalists are unique names in Minor League Baseball that have a specific connection to Bowling Green, so we encourage everyone to join us in this fun and exciting way of creating an identity. It's an election year, so fans -it's time to vote!"
Opening Day for Bowling Green Pro Baseball in its new, state-of-the-art baseball stadium is scheduled for Friday, April 17 against the Kannapolis (NC) Intimidators, Class-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. Bowling Green Pro Baseball is accepting deposits on Season Tickets and Luxury Suites at www.BowlingGreenProBaseball.com or by calling (270) 901-2121. Full-Season Tickets are valued at just $595 per seat for all 70 home games per season. Deposits can be made for seating at $100 per seat. If deposits are made online, a team representative will call to confirm the order and will follow up with seat selection and full payment information at a later date.
Here is more information on each of the seven possible team names:
Bowling Green Speedsters: Speedsters combines Bowling Green's automotive heritage with the speed of Minor League Baseball pitching. Imagine fast cars, fast players and fast pitches!
Bowling Green Cave Shrimp: Bowling Green's Mammoth Cave is home to the endangered Kentucky Cave Shrimp, a sightless albino shrimp. The blind cave shrimp has been registered as an endangered species since 1983.
Bowling Green Hot Rods: For years, Hot Rods have raced on the drag strip at Bowling Green's Beech Bend Park. The area hosts the annual Hot Rod Reunion and Buick Grand Nationals. Hot Rods celebrates the Corvette heritage and the city's love of motorsports.
Bowling Green Bluegills: Many Bowling Green citizens fish in the nearby Barren River for Bluegill, a freshwater fish notorious for nibbling and stealing bait off a fisherman's hook.
Bowling Green Turbos: Turbo is the key ingredient to giving an automobile more power! And a turbo-charged team will be taking the field at a high rate of speed!
Bowling Green Sparkplugs: Sparkplugs celebrates the Corvette heritage and the city's love of motorsports while embracing the fun kind of team name Minor League Baseball is known for.
Bowling Green Mammoths: Mammoth Cave is the longest underground cave system known in the world. Mammoths celebrates Bowling Green's connection with the cave region while providing great mascot opportunities.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.