Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night
Augusta, GA - The Augusta GreenJackets (41-28, 37-18) completed the four game series sweep of the Lexington Legends (21-48, 19-36) on Monday with a 5-1 win. Starter Craig Clark recorded the win and Augusta won seven of the eight games on the home stand.
All the scoring took place in the first inning with the Legends taking a 1-0 lead on an RBI ground out from Craig Corrado scoring Chris Jackson. Jackson doubled to lead off the game then moved up to third on a ground out from Eric Taylor.
Augusta came right back in the bottom half plating five runs for a 5-1 lead. The GreenJackets got three consecutive singles from Shane Jordan, Nick Noonan and Juan Ciriaco to tie the game at 1-1. After Thomas Neal reached base on a catchers interference call to load the bases, Dayton Buller connected for a two-run double for a 3-1 lead. Angel Villalona followed with a two-run single to cap off the scoring.
Clark (7-4) recorded his first win since June 28 with six innings worked allowing one run on two hits. Clark also walked one and struck out six.
Andre De La Garza worked two perfect innings in relief striking out one and Ryan Paul pitched a perfect ninth with two strikeouts as Lexington was held to just two hits.
The GreenJackets begin a seven game road trip on Tuesday with four games in Kannapolis, NC against the Intimidators. Augusta will send right-hander T.J. Brewer (8-4, 2.76) to the mound in the series opener. Kannapolis will send Levi Maxwell (13-4, 2.90) to the hill. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
The GreenJackets improved to 45-22 at home this season, 25-7 in the second half.
The GreenJackets have a 4.5 game lead in the Southern Division and are now a season high 33 games over the .500 mark.
Augusta recorded its most lopsided series victory outscoring the Legends 37-5.
Augusta has recorded seven sweeps this season.
Ryan Paul has allowed just two runs over his last 25.1 innings pitched out of the bullpen.
Augusta's official paid attendance at the game was 2,888 for a new franchise attendance record of 189,203.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- 6th Annual Line Drive Canned Food Drive
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory