Braves Chop the Captains
Rome, GA - After two consecutive losses to Lake County, the Braves bounced back Monday night for the 9-6 win to gain a split in the four game series with the Captains.
Lake County made it a 1-0 score in the first inning on an RBI base hit by Chris Nash. Rome came back in the bottom of the inning taking a 3-1 lead on a three run homer by Cody Johnson (23). The blast by Johnson broke the previous home run record set in 2004 by Eric Campbell for most homers in a season. It was also Johnson's 20th birthday.
Rome made it a 6-1 game in the fourth on an RBI groundout by Michael Fisher and a two run single by David Berres. The Captains wouldn't go quietly as they closed to a 6-5 margin in the fifth when Dustin Realini singled home two runs. Karexon Sanchez crossed the plate on an error by Chad Lundahl and Matt Brown singled home Realini. Rome got two of the runs back in the bottom of the inning as Cody Johnson picked up his fourth RBI of the night on a run scoring triple and an RBI single by Chad Lundahl to make the score 8-5. The Braves added another insurance run in the seventh for the 9-5 advantage. Rome pitching gave up a run in the ninth but held the Captains the rest of the way for the 9-6 victory.
Edgar Osuna (9-4) gets the win for Rome and Joey Mahalic (7-5) the loss for Lake County Rome hits the road for games in Savannah and Columbus before returning home for the final home stand of the season beginning August 28th. For ticket information contact the Rome Braves at 706-378-5144 or long onto www.romebraves.com .
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.