Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time
Augusta, GA - For the fifth time this season Augusta starting pitcher Madison Bumgarner has been named the Pitcher of the Week in the South Atlantic League. Bumgarner was named Pitcher of the Week in the SAL for the week ending August 17.
Bumgarner earned his fifth Pitcher of the Week Award for his game on Friday, August 15. Bumgarner worked six shutout innings against the Lexington Legends and recorded a career best 12 strikeouts. Bumgarner's 12 strikeouts were also a GreenJackets season high. The GreenJackets won the game 7-0 and it was the eighth time this season Bumgarner started a game for Augusta that resulted in a shutout victory.
In just his first professional season since the Giants used their top pick (10 overall) in the 2007 draft for the Lenoir, NC native, Bumgarner has dominated SAL batters. Bumgarner has not allowed a run in 28 consecutive innings allowing 17 hits and just two walks while fanning 35.
Bumgarner has recorded double-digit strikeouts five times this season and has 145 on the season. The 6'4 southpaw is staring the Triple Crown of pitching right between the eyes with his Minor League leading 1.52 ERA and is tied for most wins in the SAL with 13. Bumgarner's 145 strikeouts are second best in the league, two off the pace of Asheville's Cory Riordan who has 147.
Bumgarner won consecutive Pitcher of the Week awards earlier in the year. The lefty received his first Pitcher of the Week award for the week ending June 15 then followed up again the next week ending June 22.
In those two starts Bumgarner worked seven innings in each game and struck out 10 batters for a combined line of 14 shutout innings and 20 strikeouts.
One of three pitchers for Augusta named to the South Atlantic League Southern Division All-Star team, Bumgarner pitched in the 49th-Annual SAL All-Star Game which was played on Tuesday, June 17.
Bumgarner is slated to make his next start on Thursday, August 21st at Kannapolis against the Intimidators.
This is the sixth time a GreenJackets player has been named as a Player of the Week in the SAL this season. First baseman Angel Villalona was named Offensive Player of the Week for May 12-18.
The GreenJackets finish up their eight game home stand tonight against the Lexington Legends looking for the four game series sweep. First pitch tonight is at 7:05 p.m. Augusta is 4.5 games up in the Southern Division with 14 games remaining in the regular season. The GreenJackets are 32 games over the .500 mark (78-46) and have the second best winning percentage in Minor League Baseball.
Augusta has drawn a franchise record 187,775 fans this season and will surpass the number tonight.
The GreenJackets are celebrating their 20th Anniversary this season of baseball returning to Augusta. For information on tickets and all the promotions scheduled for this season call the GreenJackets at 706-922-WINS or visit www.greenjacketsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- 2nd Annual Palmetto Peach Half Marathon, 10k & 5k
- 6th Annual Line Drive Canned Food Drive
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark