Suns sweep Catfish
COLUMBUS, GA -The Hagerstown Suns (21-36) lost to the Columbus Catfish (32-21) 5-4 in ten innings Monday, on a 10th inning home run by Stephen Vogt. The loss was the sixth consecutive defeat for Hagerstown, including four in a row at the hands of Columbus.
Hagerstown got out to an early lead, scoring three runs on three hits in the top of the second inning. The Catfish helped the Suns cause in the inning, as they committed three defensive errors in the inning. Jose Lozada had the big hit for the Suns, driving in Robbie Jacobsen on a double to left field.
The Catfish tied the game in the fifth inning off reliever Ricardo Pecina, with five hits including a two-run double by left fielder Reid Fronk.
Hagerstown retook the lead in the top of the sixth, as Bryan Miller and then Jacobsen singled followed by a ground-rule double by Valerio Heredia. Had the ball not bounced out of play, Jacobsen might have scored from first, but the Suns first baseman ended up being stranded at third and the lead was just 4-3.
The one-run lead did not prove to be enough; Columbus came back with a single run of their own in the seventh inning of Ryan Buchter who replaced Pecina on the mound for the Suns, tying the game at 4-4.
The game remained tied until the bottom of the 10th inning when with one out Vogt hit his sixth home run of the season off reliever Dan Leatherman. Leatherman (1-2) had entered the game in the ninth inning and retired the first four batters he faced, striking out three.
Travis Risser (2-0) earned the win for the Catfish, pitching four and one third innings of scoreless relief.
The Suns return to Hagerstown for a five game series with the Delmarva Shorebirds starting at 7:05 P.M. on Wednesday, August 20th.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hagerstown Suns Stories
- Ninth-Inning Rally Sinks Suns
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes
- Suns Bats Steam Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes
- Upshaw Caps off Four-Hit Night with Walk-Off Single