Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan
SAVANNAH, Ga. - With the Sand Gnats season attendance at 97,644 heading into this five-game series with the Rome Braves, the Savannah Sand Gnats are set to welcome the 100,000th fan to Historic Grayson Stadium this season. If the averages for Wednesday and Thursday games hold true this week, the 100,000th fan should make its way through the gates on Thursday night.
The Sand Gnats have seen attendance increases since the 2004 season, when the team drew just 58,379 fans in 61 openings. Since then, the Sand Gnats average attendance has risen from 957 to its current point at 1,627 this year.
Over the past few seasons, improvements to Historic Grayson Stadium such as a new state-of-the-art video board, playing surface, improved leg room in the main grandstand and updated concessions have helped draw more fans through the gates. This season, the buzz of new ownership in Savannah also created a stir about the franchise.
"It has always been one of my goals since taking over as general manager to see 100,000 fans in one season," said General Manager Bradley Dodson. "Now that it's here, I'm very excited and would like to extend a special thank you to all the fans who have come out and supported us over the years. We hope that you have had as much fun at the ballpark as we have."
As a special thank you to the fans for coming out this season, the 100,000th fan will be awarded with a special prize.
The homestand begins at 7 p.m. on a Food Lion MVP Wednesday. Fans with a Food Lion MVP Card receive hall off a general admission ticket. For tickets and more information call 912-351-9150 or visit www.sandgnats.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Power Complete Sweep of Drive with 8-3 Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws keep pace with 9-1 win over Charleston - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists split double header - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds win fifth straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Clayton Angermeier Has Been Selected as the Honorary Millionth Fan - Greenville Drive
- Suns sweep Catfish - Hagerstown Suns
- Power sweep Drive - West Virginia Power
- Pitching powers 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Chop the Captains - Rome Braves
- Jackets Sweep Legends Monday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Swept By GreenJackets - Lexington Legends
- Intimidators Win Streak Ends At Six With 3-2 Loss In Hickory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bumgarner Named Pitcher of the Week a Fifth Time - Augusta GreenJackets
- Captains Announce 2009 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- Gnats Set to Welcome 100,000th Fan - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Tourists Receive First-round Pick Christian Friedrich - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws auction off game-worn jerseys - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Name the Team Contest' Finalists Announced by Bowling Green Pro Baseball - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RiverDogs Final Homestand Begins August 20 - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.