Phillips Leads Charge in Win over St. Cloud
Waterloo Bucks (27-26, 7-10) first baseman Dylan Phillips went 3-5 with four RBI in a 9-1 victory over the St. Cloud Rox (32-20, 12-5) on Monday evening, the Bucks' third consecutive win.
A common theme of Waterloo's recent success, the Bucks struck first in the opening frame as Trey Leonard (0-3, 2 BB, 3 R, SB) worked a walk and scored on a Kyler Arenado (1-4, RBI) RBI single. Mike Nyisztor (0-2, 2 BB, 3 R) and Leonard drew back-to-back walks in the third, crossing home on a Phillips groundout and a Blake Wagenseller (1-2, BB, 2 RBI, SF) popout, respectively.
Tony Jenkins (0-3, BB, R, SB) led off the fourth inning with a walk, stole second and came home on an Alonzo Rubalcaba (1-3, BB, R, RBI) RBI single. An error allowed Rubalcaba to score later in the frame, then Phillips singled in a pair to give Waterloo a 7-1 lead.
Noah Conlon earned his first win of the summer with 5.0 innings of one-run ball. The righthander scattered two hits and four walks while striking out four, racking up 10 whiffs on 87 pitches and retiring the first batter in each inning.
Phillips and Wagenseller added two runs in the sixth with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly.
Daniel Colwell (1.0 ip, BB, K), Brett Lockwood (2.0 ip, 2 H, BB, K) and Brandon Vial (1.0 ip, 2 K) combined for 4.0 scoreless frames of relief.
The Bucks and St. Cloud wrap up their series and the four-game homestand on Tuesday at 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 22, 2019
- St. Cloud Falls to Waterloo, Remains in First Place - St. Cloud Rox
- Six Run 8th Inning Propels Duluth to Game One Win - Duluth Huskies
- MoonDogs Fall in Another Game with the Stingers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Return to the Win Column at Rockford - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Stingers Walk-Off against Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Rivets Drop 4th Straight Game - Rockford Rivets
- Phillips Leads Charge in Win over St. Cloud - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Blanked 2-0 by Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Walk off Winners in Game One Versus Kokomo - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Drop First of Two-Game Series against Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Travel to Green Bay for Division Showdown - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Announce Date for Rushing Rapids Craft Beer Festival - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Phillips & Rubalcaba Named to NWL Major League Dreams Showcase Roster - Waterloo Bucks
- Loggers Drop Weekend Series in Waterloo - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Meet Lakeshore for Seventh Series - Madison Mallards
- Five Dock Spiders Selected to Play in Major League Dreams Showcase - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Major League Dreams Showcase Rosters - Northwoods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.