Mallards Blanked 2-0 by Chinooks
MEQUON, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (33-20) were defeated 2-0 by the Lakeshore Chinooks (25-28) on Monday at Kapco Park. The Mallards mustered together just four hits, coming from three different players and ended up stranding eight on base in a swift two-hour, 11-minute contest.
Lakeshore got the first run of the game in the third inning on an RBI single from Daryl Myers (Benedictine College) and extended the lead to 2-0 in the fifth on a sacrifice fly from Myers. With dominant Chinook pitching, those two runs proved to be enough for the night.
Jarod Large (North Iowa Area CC) earned his second win of the year after going six strong innings on the mound for the Chinooks. Large allowed just two hits and struck out four.
Trevor Marreel (Washburn) took a tough-luck loss for the Mallards after crafting six dominant innings of his own. Marreel yielded just one earned run. Brendan McGuigan (Richmond) notched the save for Lakeshore.
In a 1-0 game, Myers' sacrifice fly gave the Chinooks some breathing room in the fifth inning. Although it only made it a two-run lead, that was adequate insurance for the dominant Chinook pitching staff. The Mallards were unable to manufacture any runs offensively and left four runners in scoring position.
One outing after getting roughed up, Marreel bounced back with six solid frames on the bump. The offense was unable to produce and Marreel, as a result, was forced to don the loss.
Drew Benefield (Louisville) was a bright spot in the offense for the Mallards. The slugger finished 2-for-3 and reached safely three times. He was the only Mallard with multiple hits.
Nick Figus (Illinois Wesleyan) went 1-for-2 and was also hit by a pitch. He collected his second double of the season and had the only extra-base hit of the game for either side.
The Mallards close their three-game road trip with the series finale against the Lakeshore Chinooks. First pitch on Tuesday is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. from Kapco Park. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 22, 2019
- St. Cloud Falls to Waterloo, Remains in First Place - St. Cloud Rox
- Six Run 8th Inning Propels Duluth to Game One Win - Duluth Huskies
- MoonDogs Fall in Another Game with the Stingers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Return to the Win Column at Rockford - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Stingers Walk-Off against Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Rivets Drop 4th Straight Game - Rockford Rivets
- Phillips Leads Charge in Win over St. Cloud - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Blanked 2-0 by Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Walk off Winners in Game One Versus Kokomo - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Woodchucks Drop First of Two-Game Series against Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Travel to Green Bay for Division Showdown - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters Announce Date for Rushing Rapids Craft Beer Festival - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Phillips & Rubalcaba Named to NWL Major League Dreams Showcase Roster - Waterloo Bucks
- Loggers Drop Weekend Series in Waterloo - La Crosse Loggers
- Mallards Meet Lakeshore for Seventh Series - Madison Mallards
- Five Dock Spiders Selected to Play in Major League Dreams Showcase - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Major League Dreams Showcase Rosters - Northwoods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Spooktacular Lineup of Movies Headed to the Haunted Duck Pond Drive-In
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison
- Mallards General Manager Tyler Isham Moving On
- Mallards Offer Exclusive 2020 Bobbleheads with Drive-In Movies
- in Memoriam: Madison Mallards 2020 Season (2020-2020)