Penguins Hold on for 1-0 Shootout Win over Bears
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - In a tight, defensive struggle, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins survived the Hershey Bears and earned a 1-0 shootout win on Wednesday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (8-5-1-1) posted a shutout for the second game in a row, with Casey DeSmith recording 28 saves in regulation and overtime for back-to-back clean sheets. DeSmith tacked on three denials in the shootout to secure the Penguins a three-game winning streak.
The Penguins came out of the gate flying, but couldn't solve Bears goaltender Pheonix Copley despite out-shooting their opponent by a 14-5 margin. Hershey flipped the script in the second period, amassing 10 shots and several grade-A scoring chances in the middle frame, only to be turned away by DeSmith.
With both teams desperate entering the third period tied 0-0, pace began to pick up. The Penguins and Bears traded end-to-end rushes and flurries of scoring opportunities, but were stymied by stellar saves, brave shot blocks, or even the post. Three-on-three overtime provided similar thrills, but never a deciding goal.
With the score still knotted at zeroes at the end of 65 minutes, the game was forced to go into a shootout. Stefan Noesen was the only player to score, improving his shootout conversion rate to four-for-four on the year and bringing the Penguins another win.
Copley was handed the tough-luck loss for Hershey, despite fending off 29 shots in regulation and overtime, as well as stopping two of three shots faced in the shootout.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Nov. 15 against Springfield Thunderbirds at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. The T-Birds' first visit to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza this season is also an Eyewitness News Fan Friday with lower-bowl seating available for $15 and select draught brews on sale for $2 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Puck drop between the Penguins and T-Birds is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2019
- Game Recap: Amerks Survive Late Push from Crunch for 4-3 Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Lose 2-1 Game on the Road to Moose - Texas Stars
- Wolves Overpowered by Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Hold on for 1-0 Shootout Win over Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sens Point Streak Hits Five After OT Win in Laval - Belleville Senators
- Post Game Notes: Stars 1 at Moose 2 - Texas Stars
- Copley Earns Shutout in Shootout Loss - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come up Short to Amerks, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Ericsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- P-Bruins Recall Samuel Asselin from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Sock Giveaway, Free Tickets for Service Members on Military Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Canucks Recall Macewen & Graovac; Reassign Chatfield - Utica Comets
- Springfield Holds off 42-Shot Attack in Morning Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds' A+ Defensive Efforts Rewarded in School Day Game Victory - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sabres Recall Lazar from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall Michael Spacek from Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Blues Recall Klim Kostin from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, November 13 vs. Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, November 13 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Angello Scores Twice as Penguins Beat Monsters, 3-1
- Penguins Shut-Out in Cleveland, 4-0
- Despite Late Push, Penguins Lose in Rochester, 4-2
- Weekly: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Takes to the Road for Games against North Division
- Penguins Lose in Overtime to Hershey, 3-2