Penalties Hurt Monsters in 3-2 Loss to Rocket
LAVAL, QC - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters fell to the Laval Rocket 3-2 on Wednesday night at Place Bell. With the loss, the Monsters are now 11-10-1-1 and are currently in seventh place in the AHL's North Division standings with 24 points.
The Rocket took the lead to start the game at 7:34 of the opening period after Alexandre Alain scored a power-play goal. Markus Hannikainen responded with a man-advantage tally for Cleveland at 13:50 with Adam Clendening and Nathan Gerbe adding helpers to send the teams to the first intermission tied at one apiece.
Laval scored two five-on-three power-play goals at 3:24 and 3:48 of the middle frame courtesy of Alex Belzile and Xaiver Ouellet to take a 3-1 lead into the final period. Cleveland mounted a comeback in the third frame with Hannikainen's second power-play marker at 12:27 assisted by Kevin Stenlund and Gerbe, but the Monsters could not tie the game bringing the final score to 3-2.
Matiss Kivlenieks made 27 saves in the loss while Laval's Charlie Lindgren stopped 26 pucks for the win.
The Monsters face off against the Belleville Senators on Friday night with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at CAA Arena. Follow the games with full coverage on ALT 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Record: 11-10-1-1, 7th North Division
Laval Record: 13-9-3-0, 3rd North Division
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters defenseman Adam Clendening (right) vs. the Laval Rocket
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Wolves Prey on Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Set Franchise Record with 63 Shots - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Desrosiers, Magnifique - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penalties Hurt Monsters in 3-2 Loss to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Chicago Wolves Whip Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Charlotte Stomps Syracuse 5-1 for Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Surpassed by Checkers, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- 'Canes Recall Gibbons from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Kyrou's Hat Trick Leads Rampage Past Wild - San Antonio Rampage
- Game 22 Preview: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wild Stumble in San Antonio with 5-1 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Marlies in Rochester for Midweek Meeting with the Americans - Toronto Marlies
- BSens in the Community - Belleville Senators
- Ottawa Reassigns Chlapik to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Canucks Reassign David Pope from Kalamazoo to Utica - Utica Comets
- Flames Assign Austin Czarnik on Conditioning Stint - Stockton Heat
- Binghamton Devils Hosting Annual CHOW Food Drive Until December 13 - Binghamton Devils
- Preds Reassign Olivier to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flyers Recall F Mikhail Vorobyev - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Host Reign in Midweek Clash - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Luukkonen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Rochester Americans
- Starting December Right - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Doubled-Up by Roadrunners, 6-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Rockford Hold off Moose, 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Texas Soars Past Milwaukee with 5-1 Victory - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters and Physicians Ambulance Join Together for Season of Giving
- Monsters Announce New Television Program on SportsTime Ohio, Monsters OT, Presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract
- Cavs, Monsters and Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement