PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Buffalo Bisons (47-42) come back against the Pawtucket Red Sox (35-53), winning by a score of 5-4, spoiling the first game for the PawSox in the second half. The loss comes despite a brilliant performance by the PawSox starter Ryan Weber.
The PawSox would score the first run of the second half of their season during the bottom of the second. Rusney Castillo reached base on a leadoff single and scored on a groundball double play by Bryce Brentz.
They wouldn't stop there, adding another run on a clutch two-out double by second baseman Tzu-Wei Lin in the third, scoring Juan Centeno.
Pawtucket added two more during their half of the fourth as Castillo and Sam Travis hit back-to-back dingers.
The Bisons tried to chip away during the 7th, as Richard Urena hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded, driving in Bisons right fielder Socrates Brito.
A comeback was on during the 8th for the Bisons, as they started the inning by loading the bases on two walks and single off reliever Travis Lakins. He would be replaced by Trevor Kelley, who allowed a one-out sacrifice fly off the bat of Socrates Brito. The damage wasn't over though as the next batter, Patrick Kivlehan, blasted a 3-run homerun which gave the Bisons a 5-4 lead. The Bisons would hang on, handing a loss to Lakins in the process.
Red Sox first baseman Mitch Moreland (right quad strain) began a rehab assignment tonight. Batting third as the designated hitter, Moreland went 0-4 on the night, striking out once.
Pawtucket's starter Ryan Weber was dominant tonight despite the loss, getting through 6.1 innings without allowing a hit to the Bisons. He would end the night tossing 7 innings of 1 hit, 1 run baseball, walking 3 and striking out 3 during the outing.
The PawSox and Bisons will continue this five-game series with a double header tomorrow, kicking off at 4:35 with crafty veteran Erasmo Ramirez (2-5, 4.88 ERA) facing off against the Bisons, Thomas Pannone (2-0, 2.04 ERA). The first 3,000 fans in attendance will receive a Jackie Bradley Jr. Gold Glove Bobblehead Night.
Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 4:30 p.m.
This 12-game homestand represents the longest scheduled homestand for the PawSox in 27 years - since a 12-game homestand in 1992 (from July 29 - August 9).
The teams will play single games on Saturday, July 13 at 6:15 pm (Prince & Princesses Night & Fireworks) and Sunday, July 14 at 1:05 pm (PawSox Cap Day on another Family FunDay at McCoy).
Louisville visits the following week for a 4-game series with 7:05 pm games vs. the Bats on July 15 & 16, a 6:05 pm start on July 17, and an 11:05 am morning affair on July 18. Finally, the Charlotte Knights come to town over the weekend of July 19-21 for a 3-game set highlighted by Saturday, July 20 at 6:15 pm on Alex Cora World Series Champion Bobblehead Night followed by Margaritaville post-game Fireworks.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs and Red Wings split twin-bill - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Robert's Career Night Powers Knights to 15-12 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Score Five in Seventh, Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Rally to Open Second Half with 5-4 Win in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Roll to 4-2 Victory over RailRiders on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Return to Action with 4-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Post-Game Absolute Journey Concert Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- As Jackson Finds His Confidence, Bisons Find a Go-To Arm in Their Bullpen - Buffalo Bisons
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes (First Half Highlights): Toledo Mud Hens (40-49) at Louisville Bats (33-56) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Blue Jays' LHP Ryan Borucki to Start for Bisons on Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence - IL
- Catch the Hens Take on Syracuse and Tebow - Toledo Mud Hens
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Responders Night, Latitude & Longitude Shirt Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville RiverBats/Bats Homestand Notes: July 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.