Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls earned a 6-4 win in their first game after the All-Star break, defeating the Norfolk Tides on Stranger Things Night behind two homers from Emilio Bonifacio. Cole Sulser (5-3) recorded the victory for the Bulls, while Sean Gilmartin (0-2) suffered the loss for the Tides.
Bonifacio got the scoring started right off the bat, with a leadoff home run off Tides starter Dan Straily in the bottom of the first. The lead was maintained until the third, when Jack Reinheimer launched a solo home run of his own to tie the game at 1-1.
The Bulls and Tides continued to trade blows in the fifth and sixth innings, when Austin Hays scored on a throwing error by Bulls catcher Michael Perez to take a 2-1 lead. Dalton Kelly tied the game once again, with an RBI sacrifice fly to tie the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the fifth.
The sixth inning was dominated by the long ball, with Norfolk recording back-to-back home runs from Christopher Bostick and Zach Vincej to take a 4-2 lead. Joe McCarthy immediately responded with a two-run blast in the bottom of the sixth inning to tie the game at 4.
Bonifacio wasn't done though, with his second solo home run of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning to put the Bulls ahead for good. The multi-home run game marked the first of its kind for the 34-year old. Perez put the game away with an RBI single in the same inning, giving the Bulls a 6-4 lead.
The Bulls will face off against the Tides in game two of a four-game series at 7:05 p.m. at the DBAP on Friday. Right-hander Sam McWilliams will make his Triple-A and Durham Bulls debut, and will face off against Tides right-hander Chandler Shepherd.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs and Red Wings split twin-bill - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Robert's Career Night Powers Knights to 15-12 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Score Five in Seventh, Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Rally to Open Second Half with 5-4 Win in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Roll to 4-2 Victory over RailRiders on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Return to Action with 4-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Post-Game Absolute Journey Concert Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- As Jackson Finds His Confidence, Bisons Find a Go-To Arm in Their Bullpen - Buffalo Bisons
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes (First Half Highlights): Toledo Mud Hens (40-49) at Louisville Bats (33-56) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Blue Jays' LHP Ryan Borucki to Start for Bisons on Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence - IL
- Catch the Hens Take on Syracuse and Tebow - Toledo Mud Hens
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Responders Night, Latitude & Longitude Shirt Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville RiverBats/Bats Homestand Notes: July 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.