Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Charlotte Knights (50-40) slugged their way past the Gwinnett Stripers (51-39) by a 15-12 score Thursday night in game one of the four-game series at BB&T Ballpark. Stripers' catcher Alex Jackson homered twice and collected a career-high six RBIs in the loss.
Scoring Recap: The Stripers took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Jack Lopez (7) hit a solo home run off Charlotte starting pitcher Donny Roach. Pedro Florimon broke a 1-1 tie with an RBI single to put Gwinnett up 2-1 in the second, but the Knights responded with two runs in the second and six more in the third to go up 9-2. The big blow in the third was a grand slam by Chicago White Sox top prospect Luis Robert (1). The Stripers closed to within 9-7 on a two-run homer by Jackson (16) in the fifth, but Charlotte pulled away again in the bottom of the fifth. A two-run homer by Trey Michalczewski (2) and a solo shot by Robert (2) gave the Knights a 12-7 lead. Jackson (17) belted a three-run homer in the sixth to cut the deficit to 12-11, but Charlotte added three runs in the bottom of the sixth to make it 15-11. An RBI single by Luis Marte made it 15-12 in the ninth.
Stripers Stats: Bryse Wilson (L, 4-7) was tagged for nine earned runs on eight hits in 2.2 innings. Four relievers combined to allow six runs over the final 5.1 innings. In addition to Jackson's 4-for-5 effort, Rafael Ortega was 4-for-5 with two doubles and three runs, and Lopez was 3-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs.
Knights Stats: Roach lasted only 4.1 innings with 12 hits and seven earned runs in a no-decision. The win went to Matt Foster (W, 4-1), who was one of four pitchers used out of the bullpen. He worked 1.0 scoreless inning with one hit and two strikeouts. Robert, playing in his first Triple-A game, was 3-for-5 with two homers and seven RBIs. Danny Mendick was 4-for-5 with a double and three runs.
Postgame Notes: Atlanta Braves' outfielder Ender Inciarte, playing in his first rehab game with Gwinnett this season, went 0-for-5. The Stripers' 18 hits were a season high, but the club also matched a season high with 15 runs allowed. Gwinnett leads Charlotte by 1.0 game for the International League Wild Card spot.
Next Game (Friday, July 12): Gwinnett at Charlotte, 7:04 p.m. at BB&T Ballpark. RHP Kyle Wright (6-4, 4.92 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Justin Nicolino (5-2, 4.30 ERA) for the Knights. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs and Red Wings split twin-bill - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Robert's Career Night Powers Knights to 15-12 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Score Five in Seventh, Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Rally to Open Second Half with 5-4 Win in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Roll to 4-2 Victory over RailRiders on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Return to Action with 4-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Post-Game Absolute Journey Concert Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- As Jackson Finds His Confidence, Bisons Find a Go-To Arm in Their Bullpen - Buffalo Bisons
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes (First Half Highlights): Toledo Mud Hens (40-49) at Louisville Bats (33-56) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Blue Jays' LHP Ryan Borucki to Start for Bisons on Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence - IL
- Catch the Hens Take on Syracuse and Tebow - Toledo Mud Hens
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Responders Night, Latitude & Longitude Shirt Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville RiverBats/Bats Homestand Notes: July 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett
- Gwinnett Stripers to Debut "Thirsty Thursday" in 2020