Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Louisville Bats (33-57) were defeated by the Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) by a 3-2 score at Louisville Slugger Field. Keury Mella started for the Bats getting a quality start and handing out seven strikeouts.
The Mud Hens got on the board in the first with Danny Woodrow starting the game with a single and Jacob Robson hitting a three-run home run later in the inning to score Woodrow putting Toledo up 3-0. Woodrow went 4-for-5 with a double in the game.
The Bats got their first run of the game when Nick Longhi hit a solo home run to start the second inning. The score remained 3-1 until the eighth when Narciso Crook singled with two outs to score Christian Colon from second. Neither team added another run leaving the score at 3-2 as the final.
Mella (5-9, 5.00) started for the Bats and got the loss, throwing 6.1 innings and giving up three runs on five hits, walking one and getting seven strikeouts. Brad Markey replaced Mella, pitching 1.2 innings and walking one and handing out three strikeouts of his own. The win went to Toledo left-handed starter Ryan Carpenter (4-5, 4.65), throwing 6.0 innings giving up one run on five hits, walking two and striking out six.
Louisville stays at home and rebrands as the RiverBats to continue the four-game series against the Toledo Mud Hens with first pitch set for Friday at 7:00 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field. Left-hander Alex Wood (0-1, 6.75) is set to pitch for the Bats on Major League rehab assignment.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs and Red Wings split twin-bill - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Robert's Career Night Powers Knights to 15-12 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Score Five in Seventh, Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Rally to Open Second Half with 5-4 Win in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Roll to 4-2 Victory over RailRiders on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Return to Action with 4-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Post-Game Absolute Journey Concert Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- As Jackson Finds His Confidence, Bisons Find a Go-To Arm in Their Bullpen - Buffalo Bisons
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes (First Half Highlights): Toledo Mud Hens (40-49) at Louisville Bats (33-56) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Blue Jays' LHP Ryan Borucki to Start for Bisons on Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence - IL
- Catch the Hens Take on Syracuse and Tebow - Toledo Mud Hens
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Responders Night, Latitude & Longitude Shirt Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville RiverBats/Bats Homestand Notes: July 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Fans Invited to Play Catch at the Ballpark
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled
- Louisville Slugger Field Advances in "Best of Ballparks" TournamentÃÂ
- Take Batting Practice at Louisville Slugger Field
- Bats to Re-Air Broadcast from 1995 American Association Championship