MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence
July 11, 2019 - International League (IL) News Release
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. and NEW YORK - For the third consecutive year, Minor League Baseball (MiLB) and the Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation are partnering to raise awareness of domestic violence and educate MiLB fans about the resources available to help survivors. Topps® will also partner with MiLB and Safe At Home to support the campaign. More than 100 MiLB teams are participating in this year's campaign from July 12?22. The in-ballpark initiative, coordinated by MiLB Charities, seeks to help individuals impacted by domestic violence and those experiencing abuse in their homes, schools and communities, and to increase awareness nationwide to end its destructive cycle.
At select games, each participating team will raffle or auction off a Joe Torre autographed baseball with proceeds benefitting Safe At Home or a local organization that aids victims of domestic violence. Additionally, fans in attendance will receive a Topps® card pack including a limited-edition Joe Torre Safe At Home card. To support the initiative, teams will make public address announcements dedicated to ending domestic violence, post on social media using hashtags #MiLBEndsDV and #SafeAtHome, and provide educational materials to fans. The messaging is expected to reach more than one million fans this season.
"Minor League Baseball's work with the Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation has impacted so many lives across the country and helped bring a subject that often goes unspoken to the forefront," said Courtney Nehls, assistant director, community engagement for Minor League Baseball. "By building awareness and inspiring action through this campaign, we hope to be allies to those working to prevent domestic violence."
"Millions of children are exposed to violence and abuse every year. It is vital that they have access to support," said Joe Torre, baseball Hall of Famer and chairman of Safe At Home. "We are proud to partner with Minor League Baseball, MiLB Charities and Topps to raise awareness and provide important resources to those in need. Together, we can help end the cycle of domestic violence."
Minor League Baseball recently announced a partnership with Guardian Protection that included a pledge from Guardian to donate funds to Safe At Home or a local charity focused on helping victims of domestic violence for every base runner caught stealing at select games during the remainder of this season.
For more information on domestic violence and the Safe At Home Foundation, visit JoeTorre.org. If you or someone you know is impacted by domestic violence, help is available. Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233 or visit www.TheHotline.org.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs and Red Wings split twin-bill - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Robert's Career Night Powers Knights to 15-12 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Score Five in Seventh, Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Rally to Open Second Half with 5-4 Win in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Roll to 4-2 Victory over RailRiders on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Return to Action with 4-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Post-Game Absolute Journey Concert Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- As Jackson Finds His Confidence, Bisons Find a Go-To Arm in Their Bullpen - Buffalo Bisons
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes (First Half Highlights): Toledo Mud Hens (40-49) at Louisville Bats (33-56) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Blue Jays' LHP Ryan Borucki to Start for Bisons on Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence - IL
- Catch the Hens Take on Syracuse and Tebow - Toledo Mud Hens
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Responders Night, Latitude & Longitude Shirt Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville RiverBats/Bats Homestand Notes: July 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.