Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Toledo Mud Hens begin the second half of the regular-season strong following Thursday's 3-2 win over the Louisville Bats.
Toledo picks up its fifth win at Louisville Slugger Field and 12th win on the road against International League West Division opponents.
Ryan Carpenter got his 155th start of his minor-league career and 58th with the Mud Hens. The 2011 Tampa Bay Rays seventh-round draft selection earned the win on six innings pitched, giving up one run and five hits, while walking two and striking out six.
Louisville starter Keury Mella, responsible for all three runs scored, lasted 6.1 innings in his second loss against Toledo this season.
The Mud Hens improve to 36-2 when leading after the eighth inning and 11-15 in games decided by a single run.
Three batters into the first inning, Robson would clear the bases with a 468-foot shot to right field off the first pitch.
Robson, the No. 16 ranked prospect in the Detroit Tigers organizaton, collects his sixth home run of the season and first since July 1.
Thursday marked the first game in which Robson has batted third in the order after hitting leadoff in nearly 40 percent of his 72 total starts in 2019.
In the bottom half of the second inning, Nick Longhi's solo home run over the right-center wall would cut the Mud Hens' lead to two.
Longhi was one of four Louisville batters before the All-Star break to notch double-digit home runs. Carpenter has allowed a homer in five of his 11 Triple-A starts this season.
Carpenter would finish with his sixth start having gone at least six innings or more. Zac Reininger pitched a scoreless seventh inning after allowing two runs in each of his last two relief appearances.
The Bat grabbed their first run since the Longhi home run in the eighth on a ground ball single by Nasciso Crook which scored Christian Colon.
Trevor Rosenthal has now surrendered five runs over 4.1 innings since signing a minor-league deal with Detroit on June 29.
Recording his third save of the season was John Schreiber, throwing two strikeouts as his earned-run average drops to 3.11, the lowest among all active Toledo pitchers.
Friday's probable starter has yet to be announced for the second of a four-game series against the Bats.
Opening pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. (EST).
Live coverage is available on MiLB.TV and Fox Sports 1230 WCWA-AM.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron : 0-for-4
6. RHP Beau Burrows : DNP (SUSP)
7. IF Willi Castro : DNP
10. RHP Kyle Funkhouser : DNP
12. C Jake Rogers : 0-for-2, Walk
16. OF Jacob Robson : 2-for-4, Walk, Run, Home Run, Three RBIs
18. RHP Bryan Garcia : DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow : 4-for-5, Run, Double
22. RHP John Schreiber : SV, 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
26. RHP Sandy Baez : DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall : DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson : 0-for-4
- Toledo went 40-49 through the first half of the 2019 regular-season. In 2018, the Mud Hens came out of the All-Star break 10 games over .500 and finished the year with a 73-66 record as IL West Division champions.
- Willi Castro went 2-for-3 with a double and two runs scored in Wednesday's Triple-A All-Star Game in El Paso, Texas. Jake Rogers would get the start at catcher for the American League in Sunday's MLB Futures Game.
- Beau Burrows will return from his suspension on Saturday after being ejected in the fourth inning from last Sunday's start against Indianapolis.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Gwinnett Outscored 15-12 in Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs and Red Wings split twin-bill - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Robert's Career Night Powers Knights to 15-12 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Score Five in Seventh, Hold on for 5-4 Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Robson's Homer Lifts Mud Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Rally to Open Second Half with 5-4 Win in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Mella Strikes out Seven in 3-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bonifacio's Blasts Pace Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Roll to 4-2 Victory over RailRiders on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- PawSox Defeated Despite Excellent Performance from Weber - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Return to Action with 4-2 Loss - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Post-Game Absolute Journey Concert Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- As Jackson Finds His Confidence, Bisons Find a Go-To Arm in Their Bullpen - Buffalo Bisons
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes (First Half Highlights): Toledo Mud Hens (40-49) at Louisville Bats (33-56) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Blue Jays' LHP Ryan Borucki to Start for Bisons on Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- MiLB and Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Seek to Raise Awareness for and End Domestic Violence - IL
- Catch the Hens Take on Syracuse and Tebow - Toledo Mud Hens
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Responders Night, Latitude & Longitude Shirt Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville RiverBats/Bats Homestand Notes: July 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.