Paul Arriola Receives Call-Up to USMNT for Upcoming Friendlies
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Men's National Team head coach Gregg Berhalter has called up D.C. United forward, Paul Arriola for the second time this year as he announces his MNT pool for the upcoming friendlies. The USMNT technical staff will continue the evaluation process of the MNT pool in the second camp as 24 players have been called to gather beginning March 17, 2019, in Orlando.
In his last USMNT call-up against Costa Rica on February 2, 2019, Arriola played 90 minutes and scored a goal in the 86th minute of the match to secure a 2-0 win. Arriola also featured as an 75th-minute substitute in the 3-0 win against Panama on January 28. Since making his debut in the 3-1 win against Puerto Rico on May 22, 2016, Arriola has made 19 appearances for the Red, White and Blue; scoring three goals and recording two assists.
Arriola has started in both games for D.C. United (1-0-1) this season against Atlanta United (2-0 win) and New York City FC (0-0 draw). He scored the first goal of the season for the Black-and-Red in first-half stoppage time (45'+1') against Atlanta on March 3 in the MLS Regular Season opener. In 2019, Arriola has produced five shots (2 SOG) in 180 minutes of play, and created four chances for D.C. United.
The team building process takes its next steps with challenges against Ecuador on March 2, 2019, at Orlando City Stadium, then five days later against defending South American champion Chile on March 26, 2019, at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston. Both matches will be shown live at 8 PM ET on ESPN2, UniMas, and UDN.
"Our goal is to make progress. Building on the themes of last camp, building on the style of play of last camp, but also now evaluating a new group of players," Berhalter said. "I think we made progress in the first camp and I think it's now asking if we can take it to another level. When we are done with this camp, it's really important that we have a good idea of our strongest group of players heading into the Gold Cup."
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0)
DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1), Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN; 143/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 7/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)
FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 25/5), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 42/6)
Fourteen players on the roster were part of the month-long January camp, steeping themselves in the team culture and style of play. With a shorter window and two challenging opponents, familiarity equals opportunity when it comes to building on the foundation established against Panama and Costa Rica.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2019
- Red Bulls Knocked out of SCCL by Santos Laguna - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Foundation, FCC Open Lincoln Recreation Center Mini-Pitch - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird Called in to U.S. National Team - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Jonathan dos Santos Called up to Mexican National Team - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Signs Center Back Robin Jansson - Orlando City SC
- Game Day Concessions Options Expanded for FC Cincinnati's 2019 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. C.F. Monterrey - Atlanta United FC
- USMNT Names 24-Player Roster for Friendly at Orlando City Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Paul Arriola Receives Call-Up to USMNT for Upcoming Friendlies - D.C. United
- New York City FC's Sean Johnson, Jonathan Lewis and Alex Callens Called into Respective National Teams - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Bradley Called into U.S. Men's National Team - Toronto FC
- Defender Daniel Lovitz Callep up by the United States National Team - Montreal Impact
- Three New York Red Bulls Set for International Duty - New York Red Bulls
- Three Columbus Crew SC Player Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Zachary Brault-Guillard and Samuel Piette Called up by Canada - Montreal Impact
- Osorio Called into Canadian Men's National Team - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Get Set for Inaugural Home Opener this Sunday - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Announce Traveling Roster for Upcoming Friendly against the Bermuda National Team Presented by Events DC
- Washington Spirit Extends Partnership with D.C. United and Loudoun United FC to Host Four Matches at Audi Field in Addition to Four Games at Segra Field in 2020
- D.C. United Announce Postseason Tour Presented by Events DC in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Paul Arriola Called into USMNT Pre-Camp from November 2-9 in Bradenton, Fla., Ahead of CONCACAF Nations League Group Finale
- Post-Match Facts: Toronto FC V. D.C. United