Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
March 12, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
It was a busy week around the leagues as the Alliance of American Football hit the half-way point of its inaugural season, the Arena Football League's Atlantic City team announced its nickname and WorldTeam Tennis added two new teams. Highlights from this week are from Alliance of American Football, Indoor Football League, NBA G League, Major League Soccer, Western Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Alliance of American Football
San Antonio Commanders defensive back Derron Smith intercepted an Arizona Hotshots' pass and returned it 66 yards for a touchdown:
The XFL announced that Marc Trestman, a former head coach in the NFL and CFL, where he was two-time Coach of the Year, has been named the head coach and general manager of the new XFL team in Tampa Bay.
Arena Football League
Atlantic City AFL announced the Atlantic City Blackjacks as the new name for the Arena Football League (AFL) team in New Jersey. The name "Atlantic City Blackjacks" represents the very core of Atlantic City and encapsulates the energy in the air from the boardwalk, to the beach, to the tables.
Indoor Football League
No wall can stop Quad Cities Steamwheelers WR Quinton Pedroza as he caught a 26-yard touchdown pass from E.J. Hilliard. He went up and over the dasher boards to haul in this spectacular catch during the game against the Iowa Barnstormers:
NBA G League
Ashley Moyer-Gleich, Clare Aubry and Tonio Patillo for the first time ever, had our first all-female referee crew on a November 18th game between the Oklahoma City Blue and the Austin Spurs. There are more than 75 referees working in the NBA G-League; 20 of those referees are women being recognized on International Women's Day this past Friday.
Major League Soccer
A special delivery from Columbus Crew SC midfielder Pedro Santos to forward Gyasi Zardes. Columbus defeated the New England Revolution 2-0.
The Board of Directors of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball has appointed Joshua E. Schaub as the league's Commissioner. Schaub will assume the role immediately and succeed league founder Miles Wolff, who retired at the end of 2018 after 13 seasons as Commissioner.
Western Hockey League
Edmonton Oil Kings forward Trey Fix-Wolansky pulls off the sweet move to score, in their 5-1 victory over the Calgary Hitmen.
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
First a blocked shot, then a goal. Jeremie Jacob does it all for the Saint John Sea Dogs:
National Lacrosse League
This is way better than, "The ruling on the field stands." Referee Todd Labranche never disappoints.
Toronto Rock Owner, President and GM Jamie Dawick has announced the team will retire the number 32 worn by former Captain and NLL Hall of Fame member Jim Veltman. The ceremony will take place prior to the game on Fri., Apr. 12 on Fan Appreciation Night at Scotibank Arena.
Major League Lacrosse
We introduce our fast, aggressive, innovative, and player focused logo. The logo reflects the youthful, intense, and bold nature of our game. It features a fresh take on a red, white and blue color scheme by adding a silver gradient around the shield. And, most importantly, the shield centers around our players.
World TeamTennis is growing to a league of eight teams for its upcoming 44th season after the league announced expansion franchises in Las Vegas and Orlando will begin play in July. Orlando's team name will be the Orlando Storm and it will play its home matches at the United States Tennis Association (USTA) National Campus in Lake Nona, Fla. Las Vegas' team will be known as the Vegas Rollers, and it has secured the Orleans Arena as its home venue.
World TeamTennis and CBS Sports today announced a multi-year television partnership spanning both broadcast and cable. The deal will start this summer, highlighted by CBS Television Network broadcasting the Philadelphia Freedoms facing the Vegas Rollers on Saturday, July 21. CBS Sports Network will televise 15 WTT matches throughout the season. The network will also air the semifinals and finals from Orleans Arena in Las Vegas on Friday, Aug. 2 and Saturday, Aug. 3 (7:00 PM, ET, both days).
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2019
- Red Bulls Knocked out of SCCL by Santos Laguna - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Foundation, FCC Open Lincoln Recreation Center Mini-Pitch - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird Called in to U.S. National Team - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Jonathan dos Santos Called up to Mexican National Team - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Signs Center Back Robin Jansson - Orlando City SC
- Game Day Concessions Options Expanded for FC Cincinnati's 2019 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. C.F. Monterrey - Atlanta United FC
- USMNT Names 24-Player Roster for Friendly at Orlando City Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Paul Arriola Receives Call-Up to USMNT for Upcoming Friendlies - D.C. United
- New York City FC's Sean Johnson, Jonathan Lewis and Alex Callens Called into Respective National Teams - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Bradley Called into U.S. Men's National Team - Toronto FC
- Defender Daniel Lovitz Callep up by the United States National Team - Montreal Impact
- Three New York Red Bulls Set for International Duty - New York Red Bulls
- Three Columbus Crew SC Player Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Zachary Brault-Guillard and Samuel Piette Called up by Canada - Montreal Impact
- Osorio Called into Canadian Men's National Team - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Get Set for Inaugural Home Opener this Sunday - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.