Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird Called in to U.S. National Team
SANDY, UT - Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird has been called by in by U.S. National Team Head Coach Gregg Berhalter for upcoming friendlies against Ecuador on March 21 at Orlando City Stadium and Chile on March 26 at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston. He will join the U.S. following RSL's match this weekend against D.C. United (Saturday, 6 p.m. MT) and return prior to RSL's next home match against FC Dallas on March 30.
"Getting a second call-up is awesome," Baird said. "I'm looking forward to getting into a camp that some of the European guys are into and I'm hoping to do what I did last camp to impress Berhalter and become a guy he can trust to call in to camp and rely on."
Baird, 22, is in his second year with Real Salt Lake after signing prior to the 2018 season. A product of Real Salt Lake's Academy, he has one assist in two matches this season for RSL (1-0-1, 4 points) after leading all rookies in scoring with eight goals, adding five assists in his 2018 MLS AT&T Rookie of the Year campaign.
"Corey has earned these call-ups," RSL Head Coach Mike Petke said. "In the first two games he's had a hand in both of our goals. He's continuing his form from last year. We are thrilled for Corey and this is fully-deserved."
Baird joins the U.S. National Team for his second senior call-up after notching an assist in two starts during January camp this year. The Escondido, California, native appeared for the U.S. U-17, U-18, U-20 and U-23 National Teams and prior to signing with Real Salt Lake was a three-time NCAA National Champion at Stanford University.
"We are excited for Corey and the opportunities he is earning with the U.S.," RSL General Manager Craig Waibel said. "He's shown progress with RSL and took advantage of his chance in January camp, so it's great to see him being rewarded for his work."
Berhalter will continue the evaluation process of the National Team pool in his second camp in charge as 24 players have been called to gather beginning March 17 in Orlando. Both matches will be shown live at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMas and UDN.
"Our goal is to make progress. Building on the themes of last camp, building on the style of play of last camp, but also now evaluating a new group of players," Berhalter said. "I think we made progress in the first camp and I think it's now asking if we can take it to another level. When we are done with this camp, it's really important that we have a good idea of our strongest group of players heading into the Gold Cup."
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 8/0)
DEFENDERS (8): John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1), Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC, CAN; 143/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 7/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)
FORWARDS (6): Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 25/5), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 42/6)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2019
- Red Bulls Knocked out of SCCL by Santos Laguna - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Foundation, FCC Open Lincoln Recreation Center Mini-Pitch - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird Called in to U.S. National Team - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Jonathan dos Santos Called up to Mexican National Team - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Signs Center Back Robin Jansson - Orlando City SC
- Game Day Concessions Options Expanded for FC Cincinnati's 2019 Season - FC Cincinnati
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. C.F. Monterrey - Atlanta United FC
- USMNT Names 24-Player Roster for Friendly at Orlando City Stadium - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Homegrown Defender Nick Lima Called to U.S. MNT - San Jose Earthquakes
- Paul Arriola Receives Call-Up to USMNT for Upcoming Friendlies - D.C. United
- New York City FC's Sean Johnson, Jonathan Lewis and Alex Callens Called into Respective National Teams - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Bradley Called into U.S. Men's National Team - Toronto FC
- Defender Daniel Lovitz Callep up by the United States National Team - Montreal Impact
- Three New York Red Bulls Set for International Duty - New York Red Bulls
- Three Columbus Crew SC Player Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Zachary Brault-Guillard and Samuel Piette Called up by Canada - Montreal Impact
- Osorio Called into Canadian Men's National Team - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Get Set for Inaugural Home Opener this Sunday - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners
- Real Salt Lake Closes 2020 Season Sunday against Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Confirms Positive COVID Test
- Real Salt Lake Eliminated from Postseason Contention in 2-1 Loss