Pardy becomes first Wranglers skater to play in NHL
LAS VEGAS, NV - Former Las Vegas Wranglers defenseman Adam Pardy became the 357th player to play in the National Hockey League after playing in the ECHL when he made his NHL debut with the Calgary Flames in a 6-0 loss at Vancouver on Thursday night.
Selected in the sixth round (173rd overall) by Calgary in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, the 24 year-old played for the Wranglers as a rookie in 2005-06 and had 12 points (1g-11a) and 55 penalty minutes in 41 regular season games and three points (2g-1a) and 12 penalty minutes in ten Kelly Cup Playoff games. The Bonavista, Newfoundland native also played in the American Hockey League where he had 26 points (7g-19a) and 145 penalty minutes in 159 regular season games and two points (1g-1a) in six playoff games for Omaha and Quad City.
Pardy becomes only the second player in team history to play in the NHL. The defenseman was called up to Calgary in December of 2007, but never suited up for a game with the Flames before he was reassigned to Quad City (AHL). Goalie Dany Sabourin, who played for Las Vegas during the 2003-04 season, became the first player in team history to play in the NHL after playing in Las Vegas. Sabourin was called into duty by the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2005-06 season.
Las Vegas is the ECHL affiliate of Calgary. The Premier 'AA' Hockey League, the ECHL has affiliations with 25 of the 30 teams in the NHL, marking the 12th consecutive season the league has had affiliations with at least 20 teams in the NHL.
There have been 101 former ECHL players who have gone on to play in the NHL in the last four seasons, including a record 47 in 2005-06. Seventy-two former ECHL players were on NHL opening-day rosters and there were 333 former ECHL players who attended NHL training camps, including 139 who played in the league last season.
The Wranglers have announced a total of 24 players in training camp for the 2008-09 Preseason. Defensemen Brandon Straub, Jim Jorgensen, Michael Beynon, Gerard Miller, Bret Tyler, Jason Dest, Mark Lutz and Mike Madill have all agreed to terms for 2008-09. Forwards Tim Spencer, Matt McKnight, Luke Hunter, Tyler Mosienko, Mike Hamilton, Jordan Hack, Adam Miller, Chris Ferraro, Peter Ferraro and Brandon Kaleniecki have also signed. Forwards Jimmy Kilpatrick and Chris Neiszner are signed to tryout agreements. Left wing Shawn Limpright continues to rehab from off-season surgery. Two-time Central Hockey League Goalie of the Year John DeCaro has also agreed to terms for the upcoming season. Defenseman Brandon Straub and forward Matt Beaudoin remain in the American Hockey League.
Las Vegas will play two more preseason games. The Wranglers will meet the Condors again at Rabobank Arena this Saturday, October 11th at 7:00 pm. Las Vegas will conclude its preseason schedule with a game in Ontario against the expansion Reign. The Wranglers will meet the Reign at 5:00 pm at the Center Ice Arena in Ontario, CA on Sunday, October 12th.
2008-09 season seat packages are on sale now at (702) 471-PUCK. The Wranglers play all 36 regular season home games at the Orleans Arena, located at the Orleans Hotel and Casino at 4500 W. Tropicana Avenue.
Opening night is scheduled for Thursday, October 23rd at the Orleans Arena. Individual game tickets are on sale now at (702) 284-7777.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 10, 2008
- Salmon Kings Top Steelheads - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Everblades Blank RoadRunners 7-0 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Bombers Open Preseason With 3-2 Victory Over Cincinnati - Dayton Bombers
- Henkel's Shootout Goal Gives T-Devils 5-4 Win Over Jackals - Trenton Devils
- Lynx Drop Preseason Contest 5-2 - Augusta Lynx
- Blades blank Road Runners 7-0 in pre-season contest - Florida Everblades
- Chiefs Drop Preseason Opener - Johnstown Chiefs
- Gladiators Beat Lynx 5-2 in Preseason Game - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall to Dayton in Preseason Friday - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Checkers King Sea Wolves 9-1 In Preseason Action - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Add Five to Training Camp - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Pardy becomes first Wranglers skater to play in NHL - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Marlies Assign Defenseman Scott Langdon to Reading - Reading Royals
- Nailers Open 2008 Preseason Tonight - Wheeling Nailers
- RoadRunners To Broadcast Saturday Pre-Season Game - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Cyclones Receive Stephen Werner From Milwaukee - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lynx Add Four to Camp - Augusta Lynx
- Salmon Kings Kick Off Preseason Games - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Bombers Preseason Game Tomorrow Afternoon - Dayton Bombers
- Pardy Becomes 357th Player To Play In NHL After ECHL - ECHL
- Aces Stung By South Carolina - Alaska Aces
- Wranglers Edge Condors In Preseason Tilt, 5-4 Shootout Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Thunder sinks Fresno in preseason opener, Urquhart scores twice - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers edge Condors in the shootout, 5-4 - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Wranglers Stories
- Las Vegas Wranglers to Return to the Ice for 2015-16 Season
- Wranglers' Season Comes to Close with 3-2 Game Four Loss to Aces
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1
- Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1
- Wranglers Dropped by Aces in Game One, 5-1