P-Bruins Score Three in Second Period, Shut out Charlotte Checkers, 4-0
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Dan Vladar recorded a 34-save shutout in his first game action since October 16 and the Providence Bruins scored three shorthanded goals en route to a 4-0 victory over the Charlotte Checkers.
Brendan Woods, Urho Vaakanainen, Pavel Shen and Jack Studnicka were the goal scorers for Providence on Sunday.
1st 2nd 3rd Final
PROVIDENCE 0 3 1 4
CHARLOTTE 0 0 0 0
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"We expected a response early from Charlotte after our win last night and we certainly got it. Luckily we had Vladdy in net, who stood tall. He let us catch our breath and we were able to capitalize on a couple of nice shorthanded goals in the second. We played a better second period.
"They pushed in the third period and again Vladdy was there for us. We were able to seal the deal and overall it was a good weekend."
DAN VLADAR: 34-SAVE SHUTOUT
"I was really excited to be back and get a big win. The guys up front were unreal. They were blocking shots left and right. Our PK was great and I'm thankful for the win.
"It's always nice as a goalie to get a shutout, but it was a really good team win. That's what matters. The season is really long and it doesn't necessarily matter if the goalie gets a shutout or not.
The most important part is those two points. We got six out of six this week and that was huge for our group."
- With a goal today, Urho Vaakanainen has seven points (four goals, three assists) in his last five games.
- Brendan Woods scored a goal for the third consecutive game. He has five goals and two assists for seven points in his last five games.
- Jack Studnicka collected a goal and an assist in his return to the Providence lineup. He has scored goals in six straight and has 10 points during that span.
- Pavel Shen's goal in the second period was the first of his career.
- John Moore collected an assist in his first game action of the 2019-20 season.
- The Bruins will return to Providence, Rhode Island and take on the Binghamton Devils on Friday, December 6 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2019
- Admirals Win 13th Consecutive Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Win in Overtime on Record Breaking Night - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Edge Stars 2-1 in Overtime Battle - Texas Stars
- Fogarty Helps Pack to Point in OT Setback - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Greg Moore Named Head Coach of Toronto Marlies - Toronto Marlies
- Hershey Bears 2019 Teddy Bear Toss Breaks World Record - Hershey Bears
- Sturm Leads Comeback Win for Iowa - San Antonio Rampage
- Wild Come from Behind in 3-2 Victory against San Antonio - Iowa Wild
- Comets Stalled by Late Surge from Marlies - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Score Three in Second Period, Shut out Charlotte Checkers, 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Shut out by Bruins 4-0 - Charlotte Checkers
- Flames Assign Alexander Yelesin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Sens Release Parisi from PTO - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum for Rematch against Comets - Toronto Marlies
- Derrick Pouliot Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Red Wings Recall Ericsson, Assign Pickard - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Wolf Pack, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Malenstyn, Djoos Re-Assigned to Bears - Hershey Bears
- Bakersfield Takes out Reign, 3-1 - Ontario Reign
- Condors Bear Down in Front of Sellout Crowd, 3-1, on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Bakersfield Condors
- Three Out Of Four Ain't Bad - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Swamp Tucson, 6-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Outlast Wolves in OT - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Complete Comeback, Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Shootout
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ritchie Scores Twice, Frederic Has Three-Point Night as P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-1
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Sign Martin Ouellette to AHL Contract