P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence Bruins scored three times in the third period, but gave up two goals in the final 41 seconds of regulation and lost in overtime, 6-5, to the Springfield Thunderbirds. Paul Carey and Brendan Gaunce both scored two goals for the P-Bruins, while Jack Studnicka led all Providence skaters with three points. The P-Bruins outshot the Thunderbirds, 40-30, and went four-for-five on the penalty kill.
1st 2nd 3rd OT FINAL
SPRINGFIELD 1 2 2 1 6
PROVIDENCE 1 1 3 0 5
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"That was our third game in three nights and that was their second in three. They are a highly offensive group and they are tough to defend. You're going to get games like that.
"We have a group over here that's certainly trying their hardest and perhaps a little fatigued. Then you have a group over there that's excellent offensively. You're going to get these games. These two teams always have entertaining games. Some nights they're fun to be apart of and some nights, like tonight, they're not."
PAUL CAREY - TWO GOALS
"It was definitely a tough way to end the weekend. I thought we deserved to win that game. We've got to find a way to dig in and keep those pucks out of the net. We've got to be a little more disciplined when it comes down to crunch time like that. Overall, I thought we played good and we can build off that. We're not happy with one point, but we'll take it."
- With two goals tonight, Paul Carey has now scored 17 this season. His 17 goals and 30 points lead the P-Bruins.
- Jack Studnicka collected three assists and is now tied for third on the team with 15 helpers on the season. His 29 points rank second on the P-Bruins and sixth amongst AHL rookies.
- Brendan Gaunce scored twice and now has 10 goals on the season, which is tied for fourth on the P-Bruins.
- Peter Cehlarik scored his 11th goal of the season and has recorded four points (2G, 2A) in his last five games. His 11 goals rank third on the P-Bruins.
- Jeremy Lauzon collected an assist and has three helpers in his last four games.
- Brendan Woods recorded his seventh assist of the season and has five points (2G, 3A) in his last five outings.
The P-Bruins will remain in Providence and take on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Wednesday, January 22 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 6:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- Amerks Close out Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Bears - Rochester Americans
- Bears Blast Americans, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Blanked by IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Never Trail in 5-1 Win over Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Best the Rocket, Win 5-1 - Laval Rocket
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Never Say Die T-Birds Erase 2-Goal Deficit in Final Minute, Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Anderson-Dolan, Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Erupt for Seven Goals in Win over Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, January 19, 2020 at Hershey Bears - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Rematch against the Checkers - Toronto Marlies
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Granlund's Three Point Night Not Enough for Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Earn Overtime Point against Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Balcers, Batherson and Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Late Goal Sinks Stockton Comeback Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Third-Period Goals Lift Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Joel Kiviranta to Texas - Texas Stars
- Prosvetov Stellar As All-Star Burke Plays Overtime Hero In Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2