Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Jordy Bellerive powered the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to a 4-3 shootout win against the San Antonio Rampage on Saturday night at AT&T Center.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (19-16-3-4) received two goals and the shootout-winner from Bellerive, as the team captured its first win on its Texas road trip.
The Penguins got on the board first as a shot by David Warsofsky was redirected in at the net-front by Joseph Blandisi at 12:22 of the first period. San Antonio eventually pulled even with a second-period shorthanded goal from Austin Poganski.
The Rampage took its first lead of the night on a backhand shot by Jake Walman, but that lead didn't last long. One minute and 11 seconds later, Bellerive scored his first of the night, and knotted the score, 2-2.
Bellerive tallied again at 10:37 of the third period, sneaking a short-side shot through Rampage goaltender Ville Husso. However, Walman took a page out of Bellerive's book and answered back for San Antonio within two minutes.
In overtime, the Penguins out-shot the Rampage, 5-0, but didn't find a sudden-death winner. Bellerive delivered the goods in the shootout, and Casey DeSmith shut down all three San Antonio attempts to secure victory for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
DeSmith made 22 saves in regulation, while Husso denied 32 bids through 65 minutes and one shootout attempt.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Tuesday, Jan. 21, a rematch against the San Antonio Rampage. The Penguins' next home game is Friday, Jan. 31 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Puck drop between the Penguins and Phantoms is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- Amerks Close out Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Bears - Rochester Americans
- Bears Blast Americans, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Blanked by IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Never Trail in 5-1 Win over Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Best the Rocket, Win 5-1 - Laval Rocket
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Never Say Die T-Birds Erase 2-Goal Deficit in Final Minute, Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Anderson-Dolan, Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Erupt for Seven Goals in Win over Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, January 19, 2020 at Hershey Bears - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Rematch against the Checkers - Toronto Marlies
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Granlund's Three Point Night Not Enough for Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Earn Overtime Point against Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Balcers, Batherson and Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Late Goal Sinks Stockton Comeback Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Third-Period Goals Lift Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Joel Kiviranta to Texas - Texas Stars
- Prosvetov Stellar As All-Star Burke Plays Overtime Hero In Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Reveal 2021-22 Promotional Schedule
- Pittsburgh to Host Development Camp
- Individual Game Tickets Go on Sale Wednesday, September 15
- USA Olympic Team to Have WBS Feel
- Pittsburgh Signs Goaltender Louis Domingue