Bears Blast Americans, 4-1
(Hershey, PA) - Martin Fehervary scored late in the 2nd period, and the Hershey Bears poured it on late to beat the Rochester Americans, 4-1, on Sunday evening at Giant Center. The victory is Hershey's 25th of the regular season, and pulls the Chocolate and White into a share of the Atlantic Division lead.
Both teams were held off the scoresheet in the opening period, and goaltenders Vitek Vanecek and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen continued to duel into the second frame. Vanecek made 11 stops in the first period to counter Luukkonen's eight saves on as many shots. At 15:32 of the 2nd period, Fehervary brought Giant Center to its feet on his fourth goal of the season to break the goose eggs. Entering the offensive zone 1-on-3, Fehervary snuck a low shot through Luukkonen's pads and into the net. The Bears led 1-0 after 40 minutes with a 24-23 lead in shots.
Next period, the Chocolate and White put the hammer down with three strikes within 5:28 to extend the game out of reach for Rochester. At 8:20, Brian Pinho buried a nifty head-man pass from Beck Malenstyn for his 12th goal of the season to double Hershey's lead. Only 56 seconds later, Garrett Pilon beat Luukkonen with a quick release from the left wing and into the cage. The Bears scoring burst was completed with Riley Sutter's first professional goal at 13:48 after being set up by Christian Djoos and Tyler Lewington.
Vanecek's bid for his second shutout of the season was foiled in the final minute by the Americans. Remi Elie scored at 19:32 to complete the 4-1 scoring line. With the victory in net, Vanecek recorded his 65th win with the Hershey Bears, tying him for 10th all-time in franchise history with Ed Chadwick. The netminder stopped 30 shots as Hershey out shot the Amerks, 36-31. Both teams failed to score on the power play, going 0-for-5.
The Bears next contest is Wednesday at Springfield at 7:05 p.m. from the MassMutual Center. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch has the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- Amerks Close out Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Bears - Rochester Americans
- Bears Blast Americans, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Blanked by IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Never Trail in 5-1 Win over Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Best the Rocket, Win 5-1 - Laval Rocket
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Never Say Die T-Birds Erase 2-Goal Deficit in Final Minute, Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Anderson-Dolan, Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Erupt for Seven Goals in Win over Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, January 19, 2020 at Hershey Bears - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Rematch against the Checkers - Toronto Marlies
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Granlund's Three Point Night Not Enough for Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Earn Overtime Point against Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Balcers, Batherson and Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Late Goal Sinks Stockton Comeback Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Third-Period Goals Lift Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Joel Kiviranta to Texas - Texas Stars
- Prosvetov Stellar As All-Star Burke Plays Overtime Hero In Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.