Moose Best the Rocket, Win 5-1
WINNIPEG - A difficult start to the game accentuated by a 4-0 deficit through 30 minutes of play ultimately hurt the Rocket's chances of making a comeback as the visitors fell 5-1 against the Manitoba Moose Sunday afternoon at Bell MTS Place.
First star JC Lipon and Michael Spacek each registered a goal and assist in the win. Mikhail Berdin made 40 saves.
One minute and 41 seconds into the game, Kristian Reichel took advantage of a defensive mishap in the Rocket's slot and gave the Moose a 1-0 lead. Laval picked up the pace near the end of the opening frame, but the Moose scored early again in the second period. C.J. Suess' backhander doubled the home team's tally. Less than two minutes later, Lipon outskated two Rocket players on a penalty kill and recorded Manitoba's third goal with a crisp slapshot. The Moose capitalized on a powerplay thanks to a one-timer from Spacek to give them a four-goal cushion.
The Rocket finally got on the scoreboard when, on a powerplay, Josh Brook received a perfect pass through the slot courtesy of Phil Varone. Berdin was unable to make the lateral movement in time and the rookie notched his fourth of the season in a wide-empty net.
"I think we underestimated them [...] It's no excuse. We had to put a weekend together. You can't just play one game. We were in good spirits; it's just when you play half a game, you're not going to win," said Matthew Peca after the game.
In the third period, Cole Maier took advantage of a loose puck in front of Kinkaid, who was unable to freeze the disk, to score the Moose's fifth and final goal of the game. The Rocket return to Laval to face the Syracuse Crunch Wednesday evening at Place Bell.
LAV: Brook (Varone)
MB: Reichel (Chibisov, Spacek) | Suess (Lipon, Oligny) | Lipon | Spacek (Vesaleinen, Gawanke) | Maier (Poirier)
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 1/6 | IN/PK: 7/8
MB | AN/PP: 1/8 | IN/PK: 5/6
LAV: Kinkaid (18/23) | MB: Berdin (40/41)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
Lipon - MB 2. Berdin - MB 3. Spacek - MB
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- Amerks Close out Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Bears - Rochester Americans
- Bears Blast Americans, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Blanked by IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Never Trail in 5-1 Win over Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Best the Rocket, Win 5-1 - Laval Rocket
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Never Say Die T-Birds Erase 2-Goal Deficit in Final Minute, Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Anderson-Dolan, Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Erupt for Seven Goals in Win over Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, January 19, 2020 at Hershey Bears - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Rematch against the Checkers - Toronto Marlies
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Granlund's Three Point Night Not Enough for Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Earn Overtime Point against Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Balcers, Batherson and Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Late Goal Sinks Stockton Comeback Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Third-Period Goals Lift Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Joel Kiviranta to Texas - Texas Stars
- Prosvetov Stellar As All-Star Burke Plays Overtime Hero In Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Laval Rocket Announce Broadcast Schedule for the 2021-22 Season
- Rocket Announce 2021-22 Season Schedule
- The New Leader: Jean-François Houle
- Jean-François Houle Appointed Head Coach of the Laval Rocket
- Rocket Agree to Terms on a One-Year, Two-Way AHL Contract with Justin Ducharme