Marlies Set for Rematch against the Checkers
The Marlies wrap up their weekend trip to Charlotte, N.C. today looking to bounce back from a 4-3 shootout loss to the Checkers last night.
With last night's win, the Checkers extended their win streak to four straight and remain the hottest team in the league right now with only one loss in their past 10 outings.
Toronto was 3-for-5 on the penalty kill and 0-for-5 on the power play last night. When asked about special teams following last night's game, head coach Greg Moore commented, "I thought early on, the first couple of power plays, we just had a hard time getting through the middle of the rink. They did a good job getting up ice, disrupting our flow. Then we settled, started getting some entries and the in-zone, they did a good job of keeping us perimeter. We've got to find a way to get interior but you know, it was a little bit of a special teams game today. I was really happy five-on-five with how we executed and the looks that we got, really liked our o-zone and the movement that we got inside on the goalie a few times."
Mason Marchment led the Marlies with seven shots on goal last night and provided all three of the Marlies goals, earning his first professional career hat trick. The Marlies are 10-6-0-1 against Central Division opponents and are 0-0-0-1 against the Charlotte Checkers.
Following today's game the Marlies will return home for some practice days before heading to Cleveland next weekend to close out their annual Toronto Boat Show Road Trip.
Puck drops at 1:00 PM EST on AHLTV.
Head to Head (2019-20 Regular Season)
21-15-2-2 Overall Record 23-14-3-0
0-0-0-1 Head To Head 1-0-0-0
0-2-0-0 Streak 4-0-0-0
132 Goals For 129
125 Goals Against 107
22.4% Power Play Percentage 22.3%
78.1% Penalty Kill Percentage 89%
K. Agostino (19) Leading Goal Scorer J. Gauthier (18)
P. Aberg (32)
K. Agostino (32) Leading Points Scorer J. Kuokkanen (34)
K. Kaskisuo (11) Wins Leader A. Forsberg (12)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- Amerks Close out Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Bears - Rochester Americans
- Bears Blast Americans, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Blanked by IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Never Trail in 5-1 Win over Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Best the Rocket, Win 5-1 - Laval Rocket
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Lose in Overtime to Springfield Thunderbirds - Providence Bruins
- Never Say Die T-Birds Erase 2-Goal Deficit in Final Minute, Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Anderson-Dolan, Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Checkers Erupt for Seven Goals in Win over Toronto - Charlotte Checkers
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, January 19, 2020 at Hershey Bears - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Rematch against the Checkers - Toronto Marlies
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Granlund's Three Point Night Not Enough for Condors - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Earn Overtime Point against Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Balcers, Batherson and Chlapik Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Late Goal Sinks Stockton Comeback Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Third-Period Goals Lift Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Joel Kiviranta to Texas - Texas Stars
- Prosvetov Stellar As All-Star Burke Plays Overtime Hero In Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Marlies Stories
- Toronto Marlies Announce Coaching Staff Additions
- MLSE Issues Statement in Support of Province of Ontario's Mandatory Vaccination Policy
- Toronto Marlies Sign Forwards Zach O'Brien and Marcus Power
- Toronto Marlies Sign Goaltender Keith Petruzzelli
- Toronto Marlies Sign Defenceman Matteo Pietroniro