Olson, Millen Lead Solar Bears to 4-1 Win
ORLANDO, Fla. - Trevor Olson scored twice and the Orlando Solar Bears (17-14-3-0) scored a season-high three power-play goals en route to a 4-1 win over the South Carolina Stingrays (20-14-1-0) on Sunday afternoon at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
After Mike Monfredo fired the puck into the Stingrays zone from the left side of the red line, South Carolina goaltender Gordon Defiel coughed the puck up to Olson in the trapezoid, and the forward tucked the puck into the open net at the left post just 1:32 into the first period. The goal was Olson's fourth of the season.
Olson then redirected a point shot from Michael Brodzinski on the power play at 13:44 for his second of the afternoon.
Orlando carried a 2-0 lead into the third period after Charlie Millen made 15 saves in the middle frame for the home team.
The Stingrays cut the lead in half when Andrew Cherniwchan scored a shorthanded goal at 6:01.
The Solar Bears remained on the man advantage, and while the Stingrays played with an additional delayed penalty, Cody Donaghey netted a power-play goal by knocking in a Mitch Hults rebound.
Mathieu Foget then buried a pass from Donaghey on the ensuing match penalty to South Carolina's Jonathan MacLeod to give Orlando a 4-1 lead at the 10:29 mark.
Millen finished the afternoon with 38 saves on 39 shots against for his first victory since joining the Solar Bears; Defiel took the loss with 46 stops on 50 shots against.
1) Charlie Millen - ORL
2) Trevor Olson - ORL
3) Cody Donagey - ORL
The Solar Bears went 3-for-4 with the man advantage and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
Olson led the Solar Bears with seven shots on goal.
Brodzinski recorded two assists for the afternoon.
Hults also had a two-assist afternoon.
Foget fished the day with a goal and an assist, giving him a four-game point streak (2g-3a).
Donaghey's goal gives him a two-game goal-scoring streak (2g).
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears hit the road for a season-high nine-game road trip, beginning on Wednesday, Jan. 9 when they face the Norfolk Admirals at 7 p.m. at the Norfolk Scope. The Solar Bears return home to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 7 p.m. for a Wine Down Wednesday. Fans can take advantage of $5 wine specials during the game. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for the game.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 6, 2019
- Three-Goal Third Period Falls Short in Manchester - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Beat Steelheads to Split Weekend Series - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits' Surge Not Enough - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wallin Returned on Loan from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Score Sunday Touchdown on Admirals in 7-5 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Worcester Railers Win First Game of 2019 After 3-2 Road Victory in Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Olson, Millen Lead Solar Bears to 4-1 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Defiel's 46 Saves Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steve McParland Returns to Steelheads from AHL Loan - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 6 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adam Turner on the OT Thriller vs Wichita - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win OT Thriller 4-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Falls to Utah in OT, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Earn a Point in 5-4 Overtime Loss to Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.