Defiel's 46 Saves Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Orlando
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears (17-14-3-0) took an early lead never surrendered, scoring three power play goals to defeat the South Carolina Stingrays (20-14-1-0) 4-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Amway Center.
Goaltender Gordon Defiel made 46 saves in a losing effort, while forward Andrew Cherniwchan scored his team-leading 19th goal of the season while SC was shorthanded in the third period.
Trevor Olson got Orlando going with a tally at 1:32 of the first period and added another while the Solar Bears were on the power play at 13:44. Orlando took a 2-0 lead into the locker room at the end of one frame, outshooting South Carolina 20-12.
The Stingrays rebounded in the second period to outshoot the Solar Bears 15-11, but neither team was able to get on the scoreboard in the middle frame.
While killing a penalty to defenseman Drew Baker, Cherniwchan found the back of the net with a wrist shot over the right shoulder of Orlando netminder Charlie Millen at 6:01 to get South Carolina on the board, 2-1. Assists on the goal went to defenseman Kevin McKernan and forward Tad Kozun.
But immediately after the shorthanded marker, John MacLeod took a five-minute major penalty for slew-footing. During the delayed call, Orlando's Cody Donaghey knocked a rebound past Defiel to make it 3-1 at 6:23. Then on the ensuing power play, Mathieu Foget found the back of the net at 10:29 to stretch the Solar Bears lead to 4-1.
Orlando finished 3-for-4 on the man-advantage, while South Carolina ended at 0-for-4. Millen turned aside 38 shots in the win for the Solar Bears, who finished with a 50-39 shots-on-goal advantage in the contest.
South Carolina is back in action at the North Charleston Coliseum Friday night to face the Atlanta Gladiators on Wizarding World Night at 7:05 p.m. Tickets are on sale now!
To bring your group to the game and save, call the Stingrays Front Office during business hours at 843-744-2248! For single game tickets, visit ticketmaster.com.
Images from this story
South Carolina Stingrays goaltender Gordon Defiel against the Orlando Seal Bears
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 6, 2019
- Three-Goal Third Period Falls Short in Manchester - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Beat Steelheads to Split Weekend Series - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits' Surge Not Enough - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wallin Returned on Loan from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Score Sunday Touchdown on Admirals in 7-5 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Worcester Railers Win First Game of 2019 After 3-2 Road Victory in Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Olson, Millen Lead Solar Bears to 4-1 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Defiel's 46 Saves Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steve McParland Returns to Steelheads from AHL Loan - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 6 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adam Turner on the OT Thriller vs Wichita - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win OT Thriller 4-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Falls to Utah in OT, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Earn a Point in 5-4 Overtime Loss to Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Stingrays Announce 2019-20 Home Schedule
- Stingrays Announce Coaching Change
- Stingrays 2018-19 Season Recap
- Cherniwchan Signs PTO with Hershey Bears
- Milner Joins Washington Capitals in Stanley Cup Playoffs