Defiel's 46 Saves Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Orlando
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears (17-14-3-0) took an early lead never surrendered, scoring three power play goals to defeat the South Carolina Stingrays (20-14-1-0) 4-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Amway Center.
Goaltender Gordon Defiel made 46 saves in a losing effort, while forward Andrew Cherniwchan scored his team-leading 19th goal of the season while SC was shorthanded in the third period.
Trevor Olson got Orlando going with a tally at 1:32 of the first period and added another while the Solar Bears were on the power play at 13:44. Orlando took a 2-0 lead into the locker room at the end of one frame, outshooting South Carolina 20-12.
The Stingrays rebounded in the second period to outshoot the Solar Bears 15-11, but neither team was able to get on the scoreboard in the middle frame.
While killing a penalty to defenseman Drew Baker, Cherniwchan found the back of the net with a wrist shot over the right shoulder of Orlando netminder Charlie Millen at 6:01 to get South Carolina on the board, 2-1. Assists on the goal went to defenseman Kevin McKernan and forward Tad Kozun.
But immediately after the shorthanded marker, John MacLeod took a five-minute major penalty for slew-footing. During the delayed call, Orlando's Cody Donaghey knocked a rebound past Defiel to make it 3-1 at 6:23. Then on the ensuing power play, Mathieu Foget found the back of the net at 10:29 to stretch the Solar Bears lead to 4-1.
Orlando finished 3-for-4 on the man-advantage, while South Carolina ended at 0-for-4. Millen turned aside 38 shots in the win for the Solar Bears, who finished with a 50-39 shots-on-goal advantage in the contest.
South Carolina is back in action at the North Charleston Coliseum Friday night to face the Atlanta Gladiators on Wizarding World Night at 7:05 p.m. Tickets are on sale now!
To bring your group to the game and save, call the Stingrays Front Office during business hours at 843-744-2248! For single game tickets, visit ticketmaster.com.
Images from this story
South Carolina Stingrays goaltender Gordon Defiel against the Orlando Seal Bears
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 6, 2019
- Three-Goal Third Period Falls Short in Manchester - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Beat Steelheads to Split Weekend Series - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits' Surge Not Enough - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wallin Returned on Loan from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Score Sunday Touchdown on Admirals in 7-5 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Worcester Railers Win First Game of 2019 After 3-2 Road Victory in Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Olson, Millen Lead Solar Bears to 4-1 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Defiel's 46 Saves Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steve McParland Returns to Steelheads from AHL Loan - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 6 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adam Turner on the OT Thriller vs Wichita - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win OT Thriller 4-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Falls to Utah in OT, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Earn a Point in 5-4 Overtime Loss to Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.