Grizzlies Win OT Thriller 4-3
West Valley City, Utah - Jack Walker scores the game winning goal 1:36 into overtime as the Utah Grizzlies completed a 3 game sweep of the Wichita Thunder on Saturday night at Maverik Center.
Utah took a 1-0 lead as Taylor Richart scored his 4th goal of the season. Wichita scored the next 2 goals of the game. Eric Roy tied up the game 17:47 into the 2nd period. The Thunder took a 2-1 lead on a Cam Reid power play goal.
Austin Carroll scored 2 goals in the third period for Utah. He tied up the game 2-2 with 10:18 left. Wichita's Colin Larkin scored his first of the season 11:55 into the third period to give the Thunder a 3-2 lead.
With 1:58 in regulation Carroll scored his 2nd of the game and 10th of the season to tie the game at 3-3. Carroll has 4 goals in 4 games on the homestand after a 7 game stint with the AHL's Manitoba Moose.
The Grizzlies opened up overtime on the power play and even though Utah didn't score on the man advantage they were able to establish puck possession which led to an offensive zone draw after the power play ended. The Grizzlies won the face-off and Walker got the puck. He skated around the Thunder net and scored a tough angled shot for the game winner.
The Grizzlies have won each of their 6 meetings of the season against the Thunder. Utah stays in first place in the Mountain division with 44 standings points. Idaho is close in 2nd with 43 points.
Utah is on the road for the next 3 games as they visit Cincinnati, Wheeling and Fort Wayne. Next home game for the Grizzlies is January 16th against Tulsa.
Grizzlies notes: Ryan Walters and Tim McGauley each had 2 assists for Utah. Taylor Richart led the Grizzlies with a +2 on the night. Kevin Carr stopped 23 of 26 shots for the Grizzlies. Carr got the win to 11-2-1 on the year. Both teams went 1 for 4 on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 6, 2019
- Three-Goal Third Period Falls Short in Manchester - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Beat Steelheads to Split Weekend Series - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits' Surge Not Enough - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wallin Returned on Loan from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Monarchs Score Sunday Touchdown on Admirals in 7-5 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Worcester Railers Win First Game of 2019 After 3-2 Road Victory in Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Olson, Millen Lead Solar Bears to 4-1 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Defiel's 46 Saves Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steve McParland Returns to Steelheads from AHL Loan - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 6 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Adam Turner on the OT Thriller vs Wichita - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win OT Thriller 4-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Falls to Utah in OT, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Earn a Point in 5-4 Overtime Loss to Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.