Nilsson Hat Trick Launches Hogs to Commanding Win
Rockford, Ill. - Jacob Nilsson netted a hat trick and Kevin Lankinen made 31 saves as the Rockford IceHogs cruised to a 6-2 victory over the Iowa Wild Sunday afternoon at BMO Harris Bank Center.
The win snapped a season high-tying six-game winless streak for the IceHogs.
The IceHogs fell behind 2-1 in the game's early stages, but Nilsson scored his first of the contest 6:04 into the second period to get Rockford back on track. Dylan Sikura broke into the offensive zone on the right side and centered the puck for Nilsson to tap in from the net mouth.
Luke Johnson potted the eventual game-winner just 16 seconds later, deflecting an Anthony Louis shot from the point. Louis then extended the Rockford lead to 4-2 at the 5:43 mark of the third period with his ninth goal of the season.
Nilsson added another insurance marker for the IceHogs later in the third, skating into the offensive zone and firing an unassisted goal high to the glove side of Iowa goaltender Andrew Hammond. The first-year AHL forward would complete the hat trick on an empty-netter with 2:49 remaining in the game.
Lankinen earned his second win of the season thanks to the 31-save effort, allowing just two goals for his third-consecutive start. The rookie netminder has posted a 1.99 GAA and a .942 save percentage over that span.
NEXT HOME GAME: Jan. 18 vs. Grand Rapids Griffins | 7 p.m.
The IceHogs take the Grand Rapids Griffins on Fleece Blanket Giveaway Night. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free IceHogs fleece blanket, courtesy of Dental Dimensions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2019
- Nilsson Hat Trick Launches Hogs to Commanding Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Hottest Team in the AHL with 4-1 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Skid Continues - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Get 3rd Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Falls to Rockford 6-2 Sunday Afternoon - Iowa Wild
- Bears Strike First, But Fall 3-1 to Admirals - Hershey Bears
- Defenseman Anderson Reassigned to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Friedman Strikes in Overtime at Springfield - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Three Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Release Terrence Wallin from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Nedeljkovic Shuts out Marlies in Dominant Win - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins End Weekend with Dominant 5-1 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Erase Two Deficits to Earn Point in OT Loss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Providence Bruins Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Comets, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Win Fourth Straight in Decisive Fashion - Utica Comets
- Flames Assign Jon Gillies & Dillon Dube to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Back Home to Close out 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Admirals at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pickard Shines as Capobianco Jolts Roadrunners to Overtime Victory in Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Fall Despite Peterson's Effort in Net - Ontario Reign
- Condors Grab Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Rampage Winning Streak Snapped in Chicago - San Antonio Rampage
- Bibeau Stops 32 as the Barracuda Hold off Ontario 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Rally Falls Short in 7-6 Loss at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.