Monsters Fall to Comets, 5-1
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters were defeated by the Utica Comets on Sunday at The Q by a final score of 5-1. With the loss, the Monsters are now 17-13-4-1 overall this season and with 39 points, remain alone in fourth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
Utica grabbed a 1-0 lead at 6:10 of the opening period courtesy of a Cam Darcy even-strength goal before the Comets doubled their edge with a Tanner Kero power-play strike at 15:07.
In the middle stanza, the Monsters drew within one at 4:46 thanks to a Zac Dalpe power-play marker, assisted by Justin Scott and Alex Broadhurst, but Utica re-claimed a two goal advantage at 3-1 shortly thereafter when Vincent Arseneau converted a breakaway opportunity at 6:23.
In the final frame, Utica's Kero polished off a hat-trick showing with a five-on-five finish at 2:31 and a shorthanded, empty-net score at 16:29 to seal a 5-1 win for the Comets. Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen stopped 22 of the 26 shots he faced to fall to 3-2-1 this season while Utica's Ivan Kulbakov improved to 7-6-2 in net following a 40-save performance.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Wednesday road clash vs. the Belleville Senators with full coverage, live from CAA Arena in Belleville, ON, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters LW Sonny Milano looks for a shot against the Utica Comets
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2019
- Nilsson Hat Trick Launches Hogs to Commanding Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Hottest Team in the AHL with 4-1 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Skid Continues - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Get 3rd Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Falls to Rockford 6-2 Sunday Afternoon - Iowa Wild
- Bears Strike First, But Fall 3-1 to Admirals - Hershey Bears
- Defenseman Anderson Reassigned to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Friedman Strikes in Overtime at Springfield - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Three Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Release Terrence Wallin from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Nedeljkovic Shuts out Marlies in Dominant Win - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins End Weekend with Dominant 5-1 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Thunderbirds Erase Two Deficits to Earn Point in OT Loss - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Providence Bruins Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 5-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Comets, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Win Fourth Straight in Decisive Fashion - Utica Comets
- Flames Assign Jon Gillies & Dillon Dube to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Back Home to Close out 3-In-3 - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Admirals at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Pickard Shines as Capobianco Jolts Roadrunners to Overtime Victory in Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Fall Despite Peterson's Effort in Net - Ontario Reign
- Condors Grab Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Rampage Winning Streak Snapped in Chicago - San Antonio Rampage
- Bibeau Stops 32 as the Barracuda Hold off Ontario 2-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Eagles Rally Falls Short in 7-6 Loss at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.