Nester Shines in Otters Series Opening Loss
Catcher John Nester had three hits but the Evansville Otters (16-8) lost the series opener at the Washington Wild Things 6-1 on Friday night.
The Washington win pulls the Wild Things within one game of Evansville for first place in the Frontier League East Division.
The Wild Things scored first against Otters starter Ryan Zamorsky. Jovan Rosa hit a two-run home run to left-center field and first baseman Stewart Ijames hit an RBI single as well. They were the first runs surrendered by Zamorsky this season, ending his career scoreless streak at 26.2 innings.
Leading 3-0, Washington scored again in the second inning. Outfielder Darian Sandford led off with a single and then stole second base. Sandford was able to then steal third base and score on a throwing error from Nester.
Down 4-0, Evansville was unable to score against starter Shawn Smith until the fifth inning. Nester hit a one out triple down the right field line and scored on the RBI groundout from Ryan Kresky.
Evansville would then threaten over the next three innings but failed to score. Evansville had first and second in the fifth inning but couldn't bring in a run. They also had a leadoff double from Nester in the seventh before being stranded. The Otters almost scored in the eighth inning but a double from Frank Martinez ended the frame when Clark was thrown out at the plate.
Washington added back to back home runs in the seventh inning, completing the 6-1 victory.
Outfielder Nick Schwaner had one hit on the night, extending his hitting streak to nine games. Clark added two hits in the loss, bringing his hitting streak to eight games.
The middle game of the series will take place on Saturday night at Consol Energy Park. Evansville will have left-hander Ryan Hawkins (0-1, 3.85 ERA) pinned against righty Shawn Sanford (4-0, 1.02 ERA). First pitch is set for 7:05 pm EDT.
Fans can listen in to the radio broadcast of the game on the official home of the Evansville Otters, WUEV 91.5 FM! The pregame show starts at 5:45 pm CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2013
- James Frisbie Era Begins with Rockford Win over Crushers - Rockford Aviators
- ThunderBolts Shut out by Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers fall in series opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Extend Win Streak to Eight Games; Longest Win Streak Since 2007 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Vancil Dazzles in Shutout - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Outduel Rascals - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Drop Pitchers' Duel at Gateway - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Break Open Game Late to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Nester Shines in Otters Series Opening Loss - Evansville Otters
- 6-1 Victory Pulls Wild Things Within 1 Game of First - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Hold off Greys to Win Opener, 4-3 - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Sign Rookie Catcher - Normal CornBelters
- Otters vs. Wild Things - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Evansville Otters
- Slammers vs. Beach Bums - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Joliet Slammers
- Aviators Announce Upcoming Promotions - Rockford Aviators
- Freedom Sign RHP Chuck Weaver After Tryout - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.