Freedom Hold off Greys to Win Opener, 4-3
The Florence Freedom held off a late rally by the Frontier Greys to take game one of a three-game series at University of Cincinnati Medical Center Stadium by a final score of 4-3.
Byron Wiley got the Freedom off and rolling in the second inning with a solo home run off of Greys' knuckleballer Joe Zeller (L, 3-3) to put the Freedom on top 1-0 after two innings.
The Freedom would add a run in the fourth as Zeller's knuckleballer would get away from his catcher and allow David Harris to score on the wild pitch, pushing the lead to 2-0.
Florence would double the lead to four in the fifth inning. Harris would drive in a run with a single and two batters later, Jacob Tanis would bring Harris around to score with a double and extend the lead to 4-0.
That was all the run support Freedom starter Michael Oros would need. Oros (W, 2-0) would allow just one unearned run over six innings, striking out five while allowing just four hits.
The Greys would attempt to rally back, scoring once in the sixth and twice more in the seventh on a two-run double by pinch-hitter Mike Gallick to cut the Freedom lead to 4-3.
But the Freedom bullpen would hold. Brandon Mathes pitched a scoreless eighth and Jorge Marban (S, 5) came on in the ninth and retired the side in order to notch his fifth save of the season. Marban received some help from his shortstop Junior Arrojo who made a sliding over the shoulder catch in shallow centerfield to end the game.
The Freedom and Greys will be back in action tomorrow night for game two of this three game set. First pitch at UCMC Stadium is at 6:05 with gates opening one hour earlier at 5:05. Tickets are available at the UCMC Stadium ticket office or by phone at (859) 594-HITS. The game can also be heard on 1320-AM WCVG and online at gospel1320.com. Steve Jarnicki will have all the play-by-play action beginning with the pregame show at 5:50.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2013
- James Frisbie Era Begins with Rockford Win over Crushers - Rockford Aviators
- ThunderBolts Shut out by Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers fall in series opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Extend Win Streak to Eight Games; Longest Win Streak Since 2007 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Vancil Dazzles in Shutout - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Outduel Rascals - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Drop Pitchers' Duel at Gateway - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Break Open Game Late to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Nester Shines in Otters Series Opening Loss - Evansville Otters
- 6-1 Victory Pulls Wild Things Within 1 Game of First - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Hold off Greys to Win Opener, 4-3 - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Sign Rookie Catcher - Normal CornBelters
- Otters vs. Wild Things - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Evansville Otters
- Slammers vs. Beach Bums - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Joliet Slammers
- Aviators Announce Upcoming Promotions - Rockford Aviators
- Freedom Sign RHP Chuck Weaver After Tryout - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.