CornBelters Sign Rookie Catcher
NORMAL, IL - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, have signed rookie catcher Kevin Franchetti. After wrapping up his collegiate career at Carson-Newman University this spring, this is his first season of professional baseball. The CornBelters begin a six-game road trip tonight, and they will kick-off a three-game home stand at The Corn Crib on Friday, June 21 at 7 p.m. versus the Traverse City Beach Bums.
Franchetti hit .259 with 10 doubles, eight home runs, 28 RBIs and 25 runs in 45 games for the Eagles in his senior season. He spent his first three collegiate seasons at Ball State University, where he boasted a .208 batting average with 21 hits in 101 at-bats. He played in 42 games including 34 starts at catcher. Franchetti drove in 14 runs and scored 13, tallied five doubles, a triple and a home run.
"With the uncertainty surrounding Jenzen Torres' injury, we needed to sign a catcher fast," said CornBelters Field Manager, Brooks Carey. "Kevin came highly recommended, and we expect him to contribute immediately."
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2013
- James Frisbie Era Begins with Rockford Win over Crushers - Rockford Aviators
- ThunderBolts Shut out by Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers fall in series opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Extend Win Streak to Eight Games; Longest Win Streak Since 2007 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Vancil Dazzles in Shutout - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Outduel Rascals - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Drop Pitchers' Duel at Gateway - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Break Open Game Late to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Nester Shines in Otters Series Opening Loss - Evansville Otters
- 6-1 Victory Pulls Wild Things Within 1 Game of First - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Hold off Greys to Win Opener, 4-3 - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Sign Rookie Catcher - Normal CornBelters
- Otters vs. Wild Things - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Evansville Otters
- Slammers vs. Beach Bums - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Joliet Slammers
- Aviators Announce Upcoming Promotions - Rockford Aviators
- Freedom Sign RHP Chuck Weaver After Tryout - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.