ThunderBolts Shut out by Miners
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts (9-17) dropped the opening game to the Southern Illinois Miners (13-12) at Standard Bank Stadium 3-0 Friday night. Windy City had a great outing from its starting pitcher, but Dyllon Nuernberg was outdueled by the Miners staff.
The Miners were able to strike first recording a run in the 3rd inning. With two outs Tyler Stubblefield doubled and came around to score on Carlos Mendez's single. Southern Illinois doubled its lead in the 6th inning as Ken Gregory brought home Gerardo Avila making it 2-0 Miners. After seven innings of two-run ball from starter Dyllon Nuernberg, Windy City called on its bullpen and the Miners responded by scratching another run across in the 9th against Andy Mee. Carlos Colmenares led off the inning with a single and would come around to score on pinch hitter Jon Eisen's two-out single.
The Bolts bats struggled against the Miners' pitching all night. Preston Vancil worked 6.2 shut-out inning while striking out five. Matt Sergey, Ronald Uviedo, and Brandon Cunniff added 2.1 innings of scoreless ball as well.
Vancil (3-0) earned the win as Dyllon Nuernberg's (0-1) first decision on the year was a loss. Cunniff (7) continues to excel in the closer's role grabbing another save.
This series will continue Saturday night with a 6:05 first pitch. Southern Illinois will send Travis Bradshaw (0-0, 2.00) to the mound against Windy City's Matt Wickswat (2-2, 5.19). Fans that cannot make it to the game can listen to the broadcast on 88.3 FM WXAV and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2013
- James Frisbie Era Begins with Rockford Win over Crushers - Rockford Aviators
- ThunderBolts Shut out by Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers fall in series opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Extend Win Streak to Eight Games; Longest Win Streak Since 2007 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Vancil Dazzles in Shutout - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Outduel Rascals - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Drop Pitchers' Duel at Gateway - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Break Open Game Late to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Nester Shines in Otters Series Opening Loss - Evansville Otters
- 6-1 Victory Pulls Wild Things Within 1 Game of First - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Hold off Greys to Win Opener, 4-3 - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Sign Rookie Catcher - Normal CornBelters
- Otters vs. Wild Things - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Evansville Otters
- Slammers vs. Beach Bums - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Joliet Slammers
- Aviators Announce Upcoming Promotions - Rockford Aviators
- Freedom Sign RHP Chuck Weaver After Tryout - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.