Monsters Fall in Belleville, 3-2
BELLEVILLE, ON - The Cleveland Monsters were defeated by the Belleville Senators, 3-2, on Wednesday night at CAA Arena. With the loss, the Monsters drop to 17-14-4-1 overall this season and with 39 points, sit alone in fifth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
After a scoreless first period, Belleville got on the board first in the middle frame, getting an even-strength tally from Joseph LaBate at 7:13 to give the Senators a 1-0 lead. Moments later, Monsters captain Nathan Gerbe evened the score, 1-1, on an even-strength marker at 11:31 courtesy of feeds from Vitaly Abramov and Adam Clendening. The Senators jumped back in front when Filip Chlapik scored at 18:47 of the second period, giving Belleville a 2-1 edge heading into the second intermission.
In the final frame, Sonny Milano netted an even-strength goal at 1:50 with an assist from Kevin Stenlund, to tie the game, 2-2. Belleville reclaimed the lead for good at 11:18 of the period when Logan Brown lit the lamp to give the Senators the win, 3-2.
Monsters goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped nine of the 12 shots he faced to drop to 11-10-3 on the season, while Senators netminder Filip Gustavsson stopped 35 of the 37 shots he faced to improve to 10-13-1 on the year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday road matchup versus the Syracuse Crunch with full coverage, live from The Oncenter War Memorial Arena in Syracuse, NY, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters goaltender Jean-Francois Berube
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2019
- Condors Drop One Goal Decision in Texas, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Cormier Shines as Devils Blank Crunch 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Fall in Belleville, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Streak Halted by Marlies - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Devils, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lagace Goes to Vegas; Fucale Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Roadrunners Sign Alberga to Professional Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Robbie Payne Returns to Idaho Steelheads from Texas - Texas Stars
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Reassign Peterson to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers to Honor Local Military Heroes this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Ready to Take on Comets - Toronto Marlies
- Mohawk Valley Garden Finalizes Purchase of Babe's Restaurant - Utica Comets
- Doug Janik, Steve Langdon to Enter Amerks Hall of Fame on Friday, February 8 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Sign Defenseman Vince Pedrie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Heat, Gulls Face off Wednesday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Thunderbirds Announce Front Office Staff Promotion - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sabres Assign Wilson to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, January 9 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube
- Monsters Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission with 'Moon Landing Night' this Saturday
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to IceHogs
- Monsters Hold off Wolves in Chicago, 3-2
- Blue Jackets Reassign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters