Missions Sneak Past Sounds for Sixth Straight Victory
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Missions moved their winning streak to six games as they escaped past the Nashville Sounds 6-5 Tuesday night at Wolff Stadium. Trent Grisham's eighth inning solo home run proved to be the difference on the night.
Grisham slugged a one-out, game winning home run in the eighth inning off Nashville's Miguel Del Pozo. The blast was Grisham's fourth in his last three games.
San Antonio got off to another early lead as they scored in the first inning for the seventh time in their last nine games. With the bases loaded in the first inning Nate Orf delivered a two-run single to open the scoring on the night. Cory Spangenberg continued his hot stretch of baseball with a run-scoring single in the second inning while Lucas Erceg roped a line drive, two-run homer in the third inning.
Drew Smyly, Angel Perdomo, Donnie Hart, Deolis Guerra, and Taylor Williams combined to fan a season-high 16 batters for San Antonio. Guerra struck out four in a pair of perfect innings as he picked up his second win of the season.
Trailing 5-4 in the sixth inning, Nashville's Zack Granite scorched a double down the right field line off Hart to knot the score at five runs apiece. The score remained all square until the eighth inning when Grisham deposited a baseball over the right field fence.
The Missions continue their four-game series with the Nashville Sounds Tuesday night at Wolff Stadium. Right-hander Aaron Wilkerson (6-1, 2.72) is scheduled to start for the Missions against right-hander Austin Bibens-Dirkx (0-1, 3.68) for the Sounds. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
* With the win, San Antonio improved to 60-36 on the season.
* Cory Spangenberg extended his RBI streak to a career-long six games with a run-scoring single in the second inning.
* Mauricio Dubon extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a base hit in the first inning.
* The Missions have scored in the first inning in seven of their last nine games.
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Chasers Batter 'Cakes 9-8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Split Doubleheader - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Stu Scally Promoted to Express Assistant General Manager of Sales - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-55) at San Antonio Missions (60-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-58) at Round Rock Express (56-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony Friday, July 19 at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Team up with Just Keep Livin Foundation to Host "Alright Alright Alright Night" on Saturday, August 3 - Round Rock Express
- Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City to Take Field this Weekend During Celebracion Cielo Azul - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Split Two Games in Reno Tuesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces, Lively Dominant against El Paso - Reno Aces
- River Cats bounce back in game two to split doubleheader - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies as Winning Ways Continue - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies Iso-"topped" 7-2 on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Missions Sneak Past Sounds for Sixth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Lose Tight Game in San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Devour I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Smith Drives in Seven Runs for Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative