Chasers Batter 'Cakes 9-8
The Storm Chasers smashed four home runs, including three consecutive longballs in the opening frame, as first baseman Ryan O'Hearn drove in four runs, while Baby Cakes first baseman Austin Dean left the yard twice and drove in five runs in Omaha's 9-8 win over New Orleans on Tuesday afternoon at Werner Park.
After the Baby Cakes struck first with a trio of tallies in the top of the first, the Storm Chasers struck right back with their trifecta of big flies, started by O'Hearn's two-run shot to right-center. 3B Kelvin Gutierrez and C Nick Dini would then go deep to complete the back-to-back-to-back jacks, marking the first time Omaha has accomplished that feat since June 17, 2005 at Round Rock. One inning later, LF Jorge Bonifacio clubbed an RBI single to extend the advantage to 5-3.
Following 2B Isan Diaz's game-tying two-run homer in the fifth, the Storm Chasers countered with a four-run sixth highlighted by LF Elier Hernandez's solo homer to left and O'Hearn's two-run double to right, pushing Omaha ahead 9-4. New Orleans would plate single tallies in the seventh, eighth and ninth frames to narrow their deficit to one, yet were unable to bring across the tying run in the final inning.
O'Hearn (2-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI), Bonifacio (2-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI), Dini (2-5, R, 2B, HR, RBI) and Hernandez (2-4, R, HR, RBI) all posted multi-hit efforts in the victory. Dean (3-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI) and Diaz (3-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI), meanwhile, each recorded a game-high three knocks.
Storm Chasers reliever Bryan Brickhouse (2.0 IP, BB) earned the win in his Triple-A debut and righty Yunior Marte (0.1 IP) notched his first Triple-A save. New Orleans lefty Brian Moran (1.2 IP, H, R, ER, 2 K) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are slated to continue their four-game set on Wednesday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT at Werner Park.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Chasers Batter 'Cakes 9-8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Split Doubleheader - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Stu Scally Promoted to Express Assistant General Manager of Sales - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-55) at San Antonio Missions (60-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-58) at Round Rock Express (56-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony Friday, July 19 at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Team up with Just Keep Livin Foundation to Host "Alright Alright Alright Night" on Saturday, August 3 - Round Rock Express
- Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City to Take Field this Weekend During Celebracion Cielo Azul - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Split Two Games in Reno Tuesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces, Lively Dominant against El Paso - Reno Aces
- River Cats bounce back in game two to split doubleheader - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies as Winning Ways Continue - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies Iso-"topped" 7-2 on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Missions Sneak Past Sounds for Sixth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Lose Tight Game in San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Devour I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Smith Drives in Seven Runs for Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.