Grizzlies Iso-"topped" 7-2 on Tuesday
Albuquerque, NM - The Fresno Grizzlies (48-48) have dropped the first two games of this road series against the Albuquerque Isotopes (42-54), following a 7-2 setback on Tuesday night, after an hour and 12-minute rain delay preceded the first pitch. Fresno, currenlty 2-4 on this 11-game road trip, will now aim for a series split with two days remaining in the Duke City.
Yonder Alonso put Albuquerque in front 1-0 in the first inning, with an RBI double. Fresno took their first and only lead of the night in the fourth, loading the bases for an RBI fielder's choice from Jose Marmolejos, and an RBI single from Jake Noll. Wilmer Difo and Carter Kieboom each scored following leadoff base hits.
Leading again 3-2 in the eighth, the Isotopes put the game out of reach with three consecutive base hits to begin the inning: Elliot Soto (single) scored on Sam Hilliard's gap double. Reigning PCL MVP Josh Fuentes puncuated the four-run frame by homering to left field. The three-run shot made the score 7-2.
The defeat dealt a tough-luck decision to Grizzlies' starter Joe Ross, amidst dueling quality starts. Ross worked a season-high seven innings, allowing only two earned runs on six hits. Albuquerque starter Tim Melville lasted 6.2 IP, scattering eight hits and allowing two earned runs with seven strikeouts.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 1B Jake Noll (2-4, RBI)
- RF Jose Marmolejos (2-4, RBI)
- RHP Joe Ross (7.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K)
Top Performers: Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies)
- 1B Yonder Alonso (3-4, 2B, RBI, R)
- RF Sam Hilliard (2-4, 2B, RBI, R)
- RHP Tim Melville (6.2 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K)
- 3B Josh Fuentes (HR, 3 RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Wednesday July 17 Albuquerque Isotopes (Road) RHP Logan Ondrusek (Fresno) vs. RHP Jeff Hoffman (Albuquerque) 5:35 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Unfortunately for the Grizzlies, they could not keep a streak of seven games alternating losses and wins alive on Tuesday. Fresno dropped consecutive games for the first time since before the all-star break, on July 5-6 at home against Tacoma.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Chasers Batter 'Cakes 9-8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Split Doubleheader - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Stu Scally Promoted to Express Assistant General Manager of Sales - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-55) at San Antonio Missions (60-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-58) at Round Rock Express (56-40) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony Friday, July 19 at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Team up with Just Keep Livin Foundation to Host "Alright Alright Alright Night" on Saturday, August 3 - Round Rock Express
- Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City to Take Field this Weekend During Celebracion Cielo Azul - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Split Two Games in Reno Tuesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces, Lively Dominant against El Paso - Reno Aces
- River Cats bounce back in game two to split doubleheader - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies as Winning Ways Continue - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies Iso-"topped" 7-2 on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Missions Sneak Past Sounds for Sixth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Lose Tight Game in San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Devour I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Smith Drives in Seven Runs for Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.